Limited Slip Vs Lockers on Asphalt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Limited Slip Vs Lockers on Asphalt

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 11-12-2001, 05:29 PM   #1
evilpsych

Limited Slip Vs Lockers on Asphalt

ok.. i'm considering putting a limited slip in my rear axle and perhaps a ez-locker in the front. I'm doing so because i'm wary of how a locker acts when exposed to slick road conditions in 2wd mode. I want to know how effective a limited slip rear/locked front works offroad and how a locked front would act in slick road conditions.. in 4wd i.e. snow/ice covered or a muddy dirt road. Also, how does a locked front act when it is disengaged from 4wd? is the steering affected at all?

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2001, 08:53 PM   #2
bob91yj

Front locker is virtually invisible on the highway, but you may need to have your front D-shaft balanced as it will be spinning all the time now, and may cause a vibration.
I'd just save my money for a manual locker in the rear before I'd get a limited slip.
Unread 11-18-2001, 03:33 PM   #3
eltj

Locking up the front works awsome on the trail. Disengagement is not much different either. As far as the back is concered a locker is something that you learn to drive with gust like a manual or 500hp. It is a hand full on slick roads and will be a little squerlly but to be bad on the trail you make trade offs on the street. You could also have both with an ARB or OX locker. If its a tj and your locking the front I would stronly recoment the Warn front hub conversion. Your jeep will handle a little better and tires will last a little longer when disengaged while on the streets as well as having stronger components.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.