Key won't manually unlock door but starts jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Key won't manually unlock door but starts jeep

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
robk428

Key won't manually unlock door but starts jeep

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (finally had to retire the 97 Grand Cherokee). However, I was given 1 key for it. The buttons on the key work to lock/unlock and the key starts the Jeep BUT when I manually put the key in the door to unlock, it doesn't turn the lock.

There isn't another lock on the Jeep so I am limited on troubleshooting this. Either the lock in the door is bad or the key is bad. I have a hard time believing the key is bad though because it starts the Jeep without a problem.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thanks,
Bob

robk428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
TJCrawling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ did that this winter, thought key cylinder was frozen. Thawed it out in a heated garage and still had the problem until I squirted WD-40 into the key hole and worked the key back and forth a little. Has been fine since and works smoother than I ever remember.
TJCrawling is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
robk428

Thanks, I will give it a shot when I get home!
Unread 06-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
robk428

No luck. Any other ideas?
Unread 06-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
TJCrawling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

May just have worn tumblers at this point and have to have it re-keyed, does the key work on the passenger door?
Unread 06-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
robk428

There isn't another lock on the jeep I can try. Nothing on the passenger side or lift gate. Do I have to go to a dealer for the tumbler or can any locksmith fix it?
Unread 06-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had a key cut for my JK, and the ;ock smith cut it too deep. It started the Jeep fine, but won't open the doors. It could be the key. Just take it to a lockmith, and have a new key made from code (Use your VIN). If the new key still doesn't open the door, the you know the lock is bad. You really should have 2 keys anyways.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
TJCrawling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Like Vin said, good cheap way to diagnose the problem. Used to know a locksmith and watched him replace tumblers once and it looked pretty simple, probably not that expensive either. Tell the Locksmith the problem and he may be able to cut to the chase and fix it right away. Dont think you need to visit a dealer for this.
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:28 AM   #9
robk428

Thanks for the responses. I will call the locksmith today.
Unread 06-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
sean_haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk428
Thanks for the responses. I will call the locksmith today.
I hope you figured it out. I'm having the same exact issue in my 2000 wj.
sean_haynes is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.