Kayak roof bar with light bar (Need help) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Kayak roof bar with light bar (Need help)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 12-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
JP101
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Kayak roof bar with light bar (Need help)

I have a 2005 Rubicon SWB. I also have a CARR light bar with 5 KC Hilites on them. They aren't removable.

Well, my father-in-law, in his infinite wisdom, decided he was going to buy my wife and me a kayak for Christmas. Now, I have to figure out how the hell I'm going to transport it.

I have been trying to find a roof rack, that will go high enough to clear the light bar. Also, all of the supports seem to bolt in to the window frame hinge, but because of the light bar, it will not clear it.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg, since this is something I'll use one or twice a year, at most. And a trailer is too much of an investment, between the title, license plate, insurance....it's just not worth it.

I'm really stuck at what to do here. Please help!

JP101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
weed
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Kayak rack

I made my own rack. I have a 05 Rubicon TJ with a soft top and factory rear bumper. Mine does have rock bars below the door. The plastic ends were missing from my bumpers when I got the Jeep. My rack is built wide and tall enough to clear the top so I can drop the top with the rack on. The front bolts to the rock rails through a piece of saddled tubing. It is stabilized with a bracket that uses the bolt that allows the windshield to tilt. The front bar is drilled and tapped to allow the top of the rack to flip backwards. Once flopped backwards a small tarp can be used as a shade for tailgating. The rear uprights bolt into swivel brackets that insert into the ends of the factory bumper. The whole rack was made in four parts. #1 front uprights and crossbar. #2 rear uprights and rotating top bars. #3 Right rear bumper insert. #4 Left bumper insert. Roll bar tubing was used for this. Yakima Hully Rollers and Saddles complete this set up. We put two full size touring kayaks on top and went to Florida on vacation. We used the kayaks for extra storage on the trip. I would post pictures but only have dial up.
weed is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.