Just Bought a M100 (think it's a M416) - Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Just Bought a M100 (think it's a M416) - Questions

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Darter02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just Bought a M100 (think it's a M416) - Questions

For years I've wanted a jeep trailer. Usually when I find one for sale it's over a $1000, and in bad shape. Yesterday, in a totally random act, I decided to check the local surplus auction site. This business is literally just a couple of blocks from my home. I've walked through their lot many times hoping to spot a decent trailer.

Anyway, yesterday on a whim I checked their site and found a trailer for sale. It's in a National Guard post about 2 hours from here. I didn't have time to go check it out as the sale ended this morning. I actually won the auction for less than $700 (before taxes & fees)!

Now I have to go pick it up, but have some questions about the pintle hitch. The ad says it's a M100, but in the photos I think it's actually a M416. They have different lunettes, right? I have to order the right hitch ASAP so I can collect it before the deadline, but am not sure which is the right one. Any recommendations?

They said the trailer's hitch sits at 24", and my jeep's hitch receiver is around 19.5". I've read that you want the trailer to be slightly higher than the hitch, so it leans down a little bit. Is this correct?

It doesn't have any lights. Does anyone from Wisconsin know if I have to install them? How about safety chains? I should install those too, right?

I plan on refurbishing this as best I can, so any tips are very welcome. I plan on using it for camping, etc. If you can share any helpful tips on using this new piece of gear I'd be most thankful.

A few more photos can be found in my gallery: Jeep Trailer

Darter02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

I've got a similar trailer. Also with a back gate. I was never able to find serial numbers on it. My guess was 49 or 50 M100. I think your fenders are not original but there are groups and people that know a lot more about this than me. Enjoy it! You can easily spring it over for additional wheel clearance. Enjoy!
'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
hockeydad77
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a newer M116A2 3/4 ton with hoops & tarp cover. I had to raise my spare tire carrier up to accommodate raising pintle hitch to approximately level ( found hitch at O'Reilly- I was somewhat fanatical about getting close to level!)
I wanted to be able to tow on road and I read up on military surplus site (Steelsoldier I think) and they said it is complex procedure to license without title which is not provided for surplus trailers. I went to smaller rural DMV and implied that it was a home made trailer using military surplus parts and had no trouble licensing it!
Also, if it has the serial # tag on the tongue as mine does, you can search online for service manual.
hockeydad77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Darter02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a Model 1 Curt Hook, and a mount that will allow me to adjust the height. I also picked up some safety cables.

I'll be sure to go to one of our rural DMV locations, that's a good idea. I actually don't like to drive into the city. After living in the city of Pittsburgh for so many years I'm getting a real kick out of living in a small town in Wisconsin! We have ONE light in town, and the evening "rush hour" means there may be 4 or 5 cars waiting at the light.

I can't wait to get it fixed up, and use it. Our next camping trip is in a month or so. It'll make camping so much easier!
Unread 07-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

Whether they require it by law or not, I'd suggest fitting lighting....uness you enjoy getting hit from behind one dark and stormy night.....lol
Nice trailer....a local firm near me sells surplus trailers at good prices....I plan on getting one to refurbish.
LeighP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
threeb
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nice find. I've got a '46 civilian model. It's very handy and cool. I planned on refurbing it but I have gotten roundtuit yet. The only thing I've had to do was put a tube in one of the tires and grease the bearings.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Darter02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hear you on putting lights on it. I'm going to do that ASAP. I also heard from our DMV about licensing a trailer here in Wisconsin.

Quote:
Per Wisconsin statute 341.05(13m), registration is optional for trailers or camping trailers weighing 3,000 pounds or less when loaded. (This does not apply to recreational vehicle trailers, i.e. hard-sided travel trailers or trailers used for hire or rental.)

The statute states that these vehicles are exempt from registration. However, it is recommended, that a plate be applied for if the trailer is to be operated in another state. We also recommend that you apply for a Wisconsin title for a trailer of any size so you have a proper ownership document if/when you sell the trailer. By applying for a Wisconsin title you would be eligible for a replacement title if the document is lost, stolen or mutilated. Most trailer manufacturers will not issue a replacement Certificate of Origin after a few years.
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Darter02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also, does anyone know if it's OK to paint the leaf springs? They look rusty, and I was going to repaint the whole trailer.
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
threeb
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Mine are painted with no issues.
Unread 07-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
hockeydad77
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For lighting, my military trailer was not 12V, if yours is also different voltage you will need to change the bulbs and you will want to change the plug to use with your vehicle anyway.
hockeydad77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

A M100 has round fenders and a small box on the front. I have a M100.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
threeb
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That trailer looks to be in really good shape. That is a great find.
Unread 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
Darter02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I found both manuals for the M100 & the M416. After reading them closely I'm pretty sure this trailer is a M416. The National Guard post that sold it must have made an error. Not only does it have the squared off fenders, but the lunette bracket has two holes, and handbrake assembly looks like the 416's.

I still haven't actually seen it in person! I'm driving to go pick it up later this week.

I've been looking at SO MANY trailer rebuilds this weekend. I'm blown away at some of the projects folks have done using old jeep trailers! I've seen everything from fully restored historical trailers, to ones that turn into camping shelters with running water! I doubt I'll go that far. I just want to clean it up, repair all the problems, install lights, and have a trailer I can rely on to get my gear where I want to go. Little did I know there's an entire jeep trailer "culture" out there!

I just hope I don't find any bad surprises when I go get it. I know it's already missing the lights, and the safety chains. They also cut the back out and made a tailgate. My fingers are crossed that whoever did the work was proficient.

Here are the manuals if anyone else wants a copy.

M100 Manual

M416 Manual
Unread 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
threeb
2004 LJ Wrangler 

There are a lot of trailers that had retro tailgates. Worst case you get it welded back or made right. Mines a civvy bantam so it's got a factory tailgate.
Unread 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeb View Post
There are a lot of trailers that had retro tailgates. Worst case you get it welded back or made right. Mines a civvy bantam so it's got a factory tailgate.
I've got an m416 frame stuffed under the deck awaiting rebuild. Don't know where it will go. Found another one complete around here for a good price but think I'll stick with making my own. Would hate to destroy a nice original one with my fiddling.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.