Jeep wouldnt move in 4h after it popped out... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Jeep wouldnt move in 4h after it popped out...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Hulk04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep wouldnt move in 4h after it popped out...

Ok, I'm pretty new to the forum, but I have been all over this thing trying to find out what may have happened today when I was in 4h. I was moving right along in 4h (we got 12 inches of snow) then I came to a stop at a light. When I started to move again, it seemed to pop out of 4h. I pulled the lever to put it back in 4h and the jeep wouldn't move. I was in first gear and my foot was completely off the clutch. It revved, and there weren't any weird noises...the tires just wouldn't move. I put it in to 2wd and I started moving again. When it poped out it did make some grinding noises, but i pulled it back into 4h and they stopped. Later down the road I put it back into 4h and it went just fine and everything worked. Not sure what happened. Is there anything I should check on? Im thinking my linkage may need some attention, but other than that what would make me go into "neutral" while in 1st gear?

Thanks

04' electric lime green TJ 4.0-Hulk
Hulk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yea your right, time to check the linkage, a bolt is loose I'll bet.
Unread 12-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You could also have had a buildup of snow/ice on the skid that interfers with the shift linkage.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.