jeep WJ overland 4.7 JEEP BROTHERS NEEDED - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > jeep WJ overland 4.7 JEEP BROTHERS NEEDED

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
TheGeorgiaSwagg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the market to buy a jeep Grand Cherokee after selling my dear rubicon wrangler(wanna bring my excessively large doberman along, not enough space), however I had some questions. I want to get the 02-04 overland edition or maybe limited(yours thoughts on the limited) put a claytons or IRO 6" long arm lift kit with 35s. Is the 4.7 HO that much better than the reg 4.7? Would I necessarily have to regear/d44 swap when putting on the lift/TIRES with 4.7 and 4.7HO? I plan on throwing gears/d44's as my second upgrade but would plan on doing it alittle after more cash flow. I figure as long as I didn't go on more than fire access roads I should be fine, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, what mileage is to high for my initial vehicle purchase assuming all are well maintained(obviously opinion).

Options thus far:
00 red limited 4.7 with 103,000 for 4k
02 maroon/red overland 115,000 for 5.5k
04 silver overland 136,000 for 5900

Are all these too many miles? Can't find low miles on a wj in my area.

Please help me out brothers, or point me to a section that could.

Thanks dudes.

Unread 02-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'm not a WJ owner, though I'd like to have one. Just not fond of the t-case options or the rear suspension. The HO does make more power and has a steel crank. Either engine, heat is the biggest enemy and will spell doom for the 3.7L/4.7L platform very rapidly. Not sure on how big of tire you want to go with once lifted, but you will need to regear with any of the bigger tires. The bigger you go, the more urgent it becomes. You'll stress the tranny much more until you do. With the three listed, transmissions would be the biggest worry IMO as to what will fail first. Next would be the cooling fan, especially if they have the electric fan. If they don't have a reman tranny in them already, set aside some money for when they do. You may go a while before it happens, but it'll happen.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.