Jeep VS Toyota Tacoma - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Jeep VS Toyota Tacoma

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
blackcat471
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep VS Toyota Tacoma

I'm curios the only 4wd vehicle that I have had is the jeep that I am driving currently. So far I love it. The only thing I don't like about it is the manual transmission. I wish I would have got the auto instead. The thing I am wondering is how does the jeep wrangler compare to the toyota tacoma in off road capability. I know with different lifts and tire sizes and such you get different variables that come into play so I'm not concerned about any of that. I'm just curious about both in stock 4x4 form. Thanks for any input on this.

Last edited by blackcat471; 01-19-2009 at 03:01 PM..
blackcat471 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Allen52105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if you are comparing the 03 TJ and 03 Tacoma I would go with the jeep. better suspension for offroad purpose. hopefully its a Dana 44 rear and front in your jeep vs the IFS on the taco. the rear axle however in the tacoma is quite stout. overall I would rock the TJ personally. I have a 93yj and a 98 taco and prefer my yj. both are manual. I do however prefer my taco on the road
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
peeweeXJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a friend from WA and I wheeled with him in his standard cab, short box Tacoma. It did great but he doesn't get the axle articulation I do, or the traction without the factory rear locker, and even though it is the shortest model Tacoma, the slightly longer body does hug trees on the tight trails.

Oh yeah, and his top doesn't come off.

The Jeep is it's own species, don't expect anything like it.
Unread 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
blackcat471
2003 TJ Wrangler 

One thing in particular that I am curious about is the angle of approach on the toyo's. I've been up hills in my jeep where the rear bumper has scraped the ground and I've went down hills where my front bumper has scraped the ground. How do the toyotas do in this field.
blackcat471 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
solarrubi06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not too hot. I had a 2000 tacoma. You will drag bumper on the smallest of hills. The tacoma was decent off road, but its still not a jeep.
solarrubi06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

dual purpose rig, jeep all the way
but i believe a toyo is better as a dedicated vehicle. they have comfort and utility on pavement. but if you make it a trail rig (solid front axle), you can hack it up, throw some larger tires on it and wheel it to the grave w/o much of a worry.
the older 22r engines are like the energizer bunny. you wouldn't dream of running 35's on a 4banger jeep, the 22r does it a lot.
i don't think i can post a link (b/c of the censor) but there's a few really good threads on pirate 4x4 for 'yotes.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
xyrn
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have owned both a 98 reg cab Tacoma and my current 04 Rubicon. The Tacoma was OK off road, but as stated above the rear bumper dragged on departure. That's why you see some people with "bobbed" beds. My Jeep is a totally different animal off road, and I love it for that! To me, the only advantage of the Tacoma is the cargo capacity!
xyrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Sambox
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had a '96 Tacoma extended cab. It was a great truck and did amazingly well for off-roading. The drawbacks were it's length and the IFS. I sure do miss it. To be honest, if a jeep wasn't so dang fun to drive, I would go back to it. That is mosty because the jeep is my daily driver and a the Tacoma would fit the role much better. The jeep is a toy where as a Tacoma would be a tool for me. My opinion.

1996 Cherokee XJ, All stock except for a Flow Master exhaust.........for now. He He.

http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/tucson/
Sambox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

So you're saying that the Jeep's a toy and the Toy is a tool?

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Chatham036
1997 ZJ 

a really good friend of mine has a taco and it is very capable offroad... he swears by it. one thing that i wish my jeep had is the truck bed.
Chatham036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
SpydermanTJ

Depends on what you're doing. Prerunning in the desert? Taco all the way. Crawling rocks/hills? Jeep for the win.
The other day i was out wheeling with my buddy, and we saw a couple Jeeps and a Yoder out playing. The Yoder decided he was gonna show off, and started up the steepest, sickest, most butt-puckering hill I've ever seen. Rocks and ruts all over. He made it up to the top, about 200 yards or so. He had at least a 6inch lift with some huge BFG KM2s. One of the Jeeps went up after him, made it as well. He was rocking about a 6inch lift on Boggers. Awesome to watch, unfortunately I left my camera at home.
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 01:38 AM   #12
karlo

Tacoma is great truck but not as powerful as Jeep.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
tube yj
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
a really good friend of mine has a taco and it is very capable offroad... he swears by it. one thing that i wish my jeep had is the truck bed.
That is one of the best improvements I have seen in my swap from Jeep to Toyota. Having a bed is so much nicer than I thought it would be. I have a 91 Toyota that is SASed. It will out perform my old YJ in almost every regard. The aftermarket for toyotas is very good, and having the wheelbase to run dual transfer cases is also nice.

Jeep and Toyota are great starting points, and both have alot of strengths and weaknesses. Either way I don't think you can go wrong
tube yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
thaddeus

jeeps vs tacoma

All right i have owned a 1992 yj and a 1997 tj and now a 2002 tacoma and by far the tacoma is the best for off road and all a round. The only thing that comes close is the rubicon and they have a weak dana 44. the only bad part on the tacoma is the IFS it sucks ive broken 3 cv axles on the drivers side and 2 on the passenger side. thats why im going to a solide axle swap on my tacoma. WoooHooo... on those jeeps the 92 yj the rear end went out and radiator over heated all the time. but i could drive it with out doors and top. It so much fun to DRIVE. On the 97 tj i blow up the rear end and the t-case drive lines and the radiator over heated. so in the end more bang for the buck would be the tacoma it can tow more, you can throw stuff in the bed, more people room. Dont get me worng jeeps are fun to DRIVE:cheers...
thaddeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #15
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Where we wheel only the old straight front axle Toy pickups work well (talking near stock, different tires + lift + gears & lockers, Toy pickups and Jeeps & ignoring FJs, etc.). The ones with independent fronts seem to be "bash it harder in an attempt to slide over" vehicles. The jeeps are normally better (although the less well driven ones are still in the "air time/slider" category). The old straight front axle Toys are awesome for stock/near stock vehicles.
Toyota independent front pickups are basically on road vehicles or for moderate trails (IMO) as they have ground clearance issues due to the front axle. The Toyota pickups that came independent are normally modified with straight front axles to run the rougher trails (taking them out of the near stock category).
The differential gears on the small independent front Toyota pickups (7.5 & 8" ring gear) seem to be a bit weaker than the Jeep differentials (yes, weaker than a RC 30 front) in stock condition they seem to fail at about the same torque/power/abuse level as a 35c rear (although we see relatively few so the sample is small).
I have yet to see a full sized stock or near stock Toyota pickup on the trails where we play (we do see bobbed straight axle Toyota buggies that do well). The large pickups may be better than the smaller pickups but the independent front end will almost certainly be a clearance issue to some extent (it seems to be a problem on every IFS equipped vehicle that I see on difficult trails, off road) and they will have the same issues weaving through the trees/picking a line as the full sized Chevy and Ford pickups. I have yet to see an independent front Toyota do as well a similarly equipped TJ.

That said due to size differences any Toyota/Jeep (CJ/YJ/TJ) comparison should be kept to similar vehicles as the wheelbase makes them optimized to different wheeling styles and terrains, off road.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.

Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-14-2009 at 09:42 AM..
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.