Jeep newbie needing some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Jeep newbie needing some help

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
adammannis
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep newbie needing some help

I recently bought a 1980 AMC Jeep CJ5 Laredo. 258 I6. was basically stock and abused. So far I have: complete tune up, 4in body lift, optima D31M battery, new tie rods end to end, repaired wiring harness (it was bad) it has some cheap aftermarket 15x10 in wheels with 33 12.5 15 's so i put 2.5in wheel spacers on the front because the tires were rubbing the springs. replacing all steering components except the column and gear box because they were recently rebuilt. now that you have some history here is my main question. I beleive all the axles, gears, differential to be original. am i safe to go out wheelin or do i need to wory about that? also do need to uprgrade the gearing?

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj5-build-z-o-r-t-vehicle-1130268/
adammannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You may want to just take the time to take things apart to check everything out and to see what kind of shape everything is in and hopefully get a good idea of exactly what is in there. If you are a little concerned then a little time wrenching is well worth the piece of mind out on the road or trail.

Plus, Lord knows when the last time the diff. fluids were changed. People tend to overlook things like that when doing maintenance. Would be a good time to change that out.

As for upgrading the gears, it sounds like it should be with the current setup. How is the acceleration/power? With the 258 I6 and 33x12.50s it should be pretty decent. If it is pretty decent then I don't see the need to upgrade gears unless you plan on going to 35" tires or using it strictly as a crawler.

You may want to consider getting rid of the 4" body lift. That is a lot of body lift! That of course depends on your preference. After all it is your Jeep (always remember that).

Hope this helps!
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
adammannis
1988 XJ Cherokee 

re

I am planning on going with 35's once these were out. I've got about 40% tread so it will be a little while yet. my main concern was that it is suggested to run no larger than 31 10.15 in the haynes manual. and i'm well over that plus the weight of the wheel spacers. I am planning on changing the fluids all the way around in the next couple of weeks. It is my daily driver but i also plan on hittin the trails and doing some rock crawling. as for power and acceleration it seems to be more than adaquate. I am a little concerned with the transmission. second gear seems to grind if you are gearing down.

My Build Thread
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
adammannis
1988 XJ Cherokee 

thats suppsoed to be 31 10.5 's lol

My Build Thread
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The Haynes Manual is probably basing it on the fact of the Jeep being at stock height. That is were the 31.5" figure is coming from. I would try to figure out exactly what gears you have between now and whenever you get new tires. Chances are, the gears are still the stock setup and if you go to 35" tires so upgrading gears is something to consider when those 35s go on. There is no need to do it just yet if you are going to run the tread off the 33s. Upgrading axles may have to be considered as well.

Just use the search function here on the forum or any other sources to figure out what gears, axles, and transmission you have and go from there. There is a ton of info. on this forum alone.

I forgot this earlier!
to the forum!
Unread 11-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4" body lift
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
adammannis
1988 XJ Cherokee 

my sincerest appologizes.. it a "3.5" in body lift.. hey ima poor kid that needed some clearance. Its not like i can drive over 40mph anyway its been stuck in 4lo lol

My Build Thread

Tags
axles , cj5 , gears , newbie

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.