Jeep commander are they good off road and in deep snow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Jeep commander are they good off road and in deep snow?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 02-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
kip42

Jeep commander are they good off road and in deep snow?

Are other trucks and SUVS able to do this?

I currently drive a Lincoln towncar. I want a safe crash wise vehicle that will take me through horrible weather on weekdays and up trails on weekends. I get deep snow in my area and most newer suvs are low to the ground and get stuck anyways.

How does the jeep commander compare to the cherokee, Chevy Suburban, and ford f150 FX4 in terms of off road ability?

How deep of snow can I take it through? Would a Cherokee go better? I am a big guy 6'3 so I prefer a big vehicle. I also do a 60 mile highway commute at 70mph. What kind of gas mileage will a Commander get with the Hemi?

kip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I see you didn't get a lot of replies here... check out the XK/WK forum and ask there as well.

Here's my take:
The XK is based on the 2005-2010 WK Grand Cherokee only slightly larger. Engine, drivetrain, chassis, all the same. When faced with the choice, I went with the older WJ Grand Cherokee which retains the class solid front axle where the XK/WK has independent front suspension. With the solid axle, you get much better flex. In that picture, a WJ would have its front tires BOTH on the ground because the axle would be able to flex enough to make it happen. I also prefer the fully-mechanical QuadraDrive I system to the WK QuadraDrive II...adding electronics to a great drivetrain just adds an element of unreliability with no real performance gain.

Compared to the rest of the vehicles you listed, you will probably have better offroad ability except for the Cherokee. The XK is just too big for 90% of the trails around here and while the long wheelbase aids you in climbs, the rear overhang is huge and the curb weight is just F-ing massive.

So yeah, I chose the WJ. Not as big, mechanically simpler, great 4.7HO engine. If I had to choose between a WK or XK (Grand Cherokee or Commander) I'd get the Grand. The Commander is just too big and I have no need for third row seating (which I have heard sucks anyway). Plus, most Jeep guys I know point and laugh at Commanders and point and laugh less at Grand Cherokees

Mileage is going to suck. I would expect 15 mpg average.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I like the XJ Cherokee because they are smaller, less computer interference, and cheaper to buy, drive, and fix.

We get plenty of snow up here in Wisconsin. Should be able to handle anything a GA winter could throw at it.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My Commander did great in the snow on i-70 through the mountains around Vail, CO. Zero issues in the snow on my road trip from CA to MI, and down to FL, and back to CA. I threw everything at it. Can't really comment on how deep of snow it can handle, I took it out in a field with about 4-6" of snow and it didn't even slip once.

Gas mileage sucks, I'm averaging 14 overall. You can look on fuelly for more mileage information.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.