Instant Air Supply CO2 Setup REVIEW - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Instant Air Supply CO2 Setup REVIEW

Free shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpersBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Alrighty, this is my first time reviewing a product on JF, but this was too awesome of a setup not to talk about. I spend a good amount of time wheeling on forest service roads where there is no convenient way to air back up for someone without OBA, unless you can find a gas station nearby with a compressor. I had actually started looking into different vehicle mounted compressors, when read on another forum about a new high quality CO2 setup that was coming to market. After a bit of reading up on the setup, I was thoroughly impressed, so, two weeks ago, I ordered a 10lb CO2 Setup from Instant Air Supply

So, here's what $218 got me:

The Tank, Regulator, Hose, and Quick Fists are also all MADE IN USA, which was a HUGE selling point for me When my setup arrived, I was immediately impressed with how well it was packaged. Everything was packed securely in paper, and nothing was rattling around inside when I gave the box a vigorous shake. As expected, then, all the components were in excellent condition when I unpacked it. Makes me wonder what the shipping departments of some of the bigger companies out there are doing...

I then got around to inspecting each component of this package. The regulator is very well made, and I expect no problems from it at all. All the threads on the air fittings were in good condition, and fit together with no complaints. The 6 ball coupler is FANTASTIC. It really is a big improvement over the cheap couplers I have seen with various air compressors, where you will sometimes not get a solid connection, or that begin to leak over time. This coupler latches each time with a definitive snap, and the fitting can rotate smoothly in the coupler when connected. The air chuck clips easily and securely onto the tireís valve stem, and makes for a hands free operation of the setup once it is attached.

The 25í' hose that is provided is by far the nicest air hose I have ever used. The fact that it is thinner than most air hoses makes it much easier to work with, and it does not like to coil up or kink when it is being used. It looks to me like a durable hose that will stand up to a lot of abuse over the years. Plus, it is rebuildable. The brass ends on each end can be unscrewed and replaced easily with a few basic hand tools, meaning easy trail repairs if something did happen to break.

The quick fists made mounting a breeze, a few sheet metal screws and the tank was securely mounted in the back of my jeep. The straps hold the tank securely, but arenít a pain to use, the tank can be easily removed in moments.

All in all, I am thrilled with my new CO2 setup. It is great to have the ability to air up larger tires much faster than most compressors (I can air up one of my 33Ē MTRís from 8 to 25 psi in well under a minute, roughly 20 times per fill), or reset a bead if needed. Another plus I can run air tools on the trail if need be. It is nice to know that I no longer have to hope there is a gas station nearby to air my tires back up. I would highly recommend this setup to anyone, you canít get a quality setup like this for anywhere near this price.

My Build Thread

Instagram: Mulvihill64

Jeep-Owner.com
Mulvihill64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have to agree with your review. I received my kit in the exact same condition, and was equally impressed with the setup. I do have a couple of extra photos to add though.

The aforementioned couplers are brass, six ball units.

The tire chuck.

And how I mounted my setup.

As you can tell, something that some people might also like is that the tank comes without the sticker installed. I know some people cringe at added branding for already purchased products, but at nearly half the cost of the only other unit I could find (Powertank) I didn't mind adding the sticker.

I should add that you do have to fill the tank. The cost on Saturday to fill mine up was only 23 bucks, and it should last me (on my 31 tires) at least 8 trips before I need a refill. All in all, a great product!
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I tested this setup out at our most recent Jeep meet and every one (myself included) was impressed with how quickly it aired up my 35" MTR from 12 to 25 PSI. I don't have it mounted yet, but that's just because I've been very busy lately. I too opted to add the sticker to my tank to support a great new company.

Unread 09-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
G Beasley
Jeep-Owner.com

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Another satisfied customer here .

It is a really well thought out kit for a great price.
Unread 09-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
bobthetj03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I too, am pleased with my purchase, and am out of the norm a bit by getting the smaller 5lb cylinder. I don't air down to single digits, so airing up my 32's should get me plenty of use on a fill up. This kit is very well thought out!
p1060891.jpg

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's a pretty good price for a kit, however you can still piece it together for quite a bit cheaper. My aluminum tank and regulator (both made in the USA fwiw) were about $110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
I have to agree with your review. I received my kit in the exact same condition, and was equally impressed with the setup. I do have a couple of extra photos to add though.

The aforementioned couplers are brass, six ball units.

The tire chuck.

And how I mounted my setup.

As you can tell, something that some people might also like is that the tank comes without the sticker installed. I know some people cringe at added branding for already purchased products, but at nearly half the cost of the only other unit I could find (Powertank) I didn't mind adding the sticker.

I should add that you do have to fill the tank. The cost on Saturday to fill mine up was only 23 bucks, and it should last me (on my 31 tires) at least 8 trips before I need a refill. All in all, a great product!
Hopefully you know you can't use the tank on its side like that, unless you have a modified valve.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am aware, but thanks for bringing it up! Did your price include the air chuck, 2 quick connects, and hose as well, or just tank and regulator?
Unread 09-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
I am aware, but thanks for bringing it up! Did your price include the air chuck, 2 quick connects, and hose as well, or just tank and regulator?
That's just tank ($80) and regulator ($40), so actually $120. Hose and fittings were pretty cheap at Home Depot then whatever I rigged up to mount it maybe $150 total. For a kit that's a good price plus it has the mounting. The quick connects also look nice, the cheap ones I bought start to leak when they get icy cold.

Unread 09-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93
That's just tank ($80) and regulator ($40), so actually $120. Hose and fittings were pretty cheap at Home Depot then whatever I rigged up to mount it maybe $150 total. For a kit that's a good price plus it has the mounting. The quick connects also look nice, the cheap ones I bought start to leak when they get icy cold.
That's the thing. The fittings and hose in this kit are top notch, not something you'd find at Home Depot

My Build Thread

Jeep-Owner.com
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
zillla
1975 CJ5 

So where do you guys fill up at?/ I have a VIAair compressor, but was looking at these as well
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I filled up at a welding supply company for $18.
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla
So where do you guys fill up at?/ I have a VIAair compressor, but was looking at these as well
I got mine filled at a local place that sells CO2 and Nitrogen mixes for beer brewing. $10 to fill the tank.

My Build Thread

Jeep-Owner.com
Unread 09-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got mine filled at a local place down the street for 23, but I didn't call around either. After using mine today, I can verify that the quick connects remained leak free even with frost on them.
Unread 09-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #14
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a nice set-up.

CO2 tanks are great (I've got one in my Jeep). They're quick to fill tires after Jeeping, but keep tabs on how much you've got left in the tank, because CO2 works all-or-nothing. You can't get a gauge that'll tell you how much CO2 is left in the tank.

What you might want to do is weigh your tank empty (when you first get it) and write the empty weight on the bottom of the tank with a permanent sharpie. Then weigh it full and record full weight on the bottom too. Then keep tabs on the tank's weight - maybe figure out how much you're using with each Jeeping trip. You'll also be able to tell if a shop didn't fill your tank all the way after you've had it filled a few times.

Yeah - I eventually ran my tank empty once after filling two (and a half) out of four tires after Jeeping all day.

Trailer build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A luggage hand scale works very well for weighing the tank and keeping track of how full it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.