Increasing Gas Mileage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Increasing Gas Mileage

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
work4mud
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sure fire way to make your tank of gas last longer....drive your jeep less often.

Unread 03-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
grininmonkey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have just recently found that having equal tire pressure in all 4, correct wheel alignment and correct rear drive shaft angle shot me up from 14.2 mpg on average of 18.7 mpg (city + highway).

I had a some what noticeable vibes with a budget lift and an at home alignment until recently, where I put in new coils,shocks and lowered my transfer case to correct my drive line... then I caved in and had a shop set my toe-in to 13 or basically between 0 and 1/8" toe-in.

The entire driving experience was very noticeable and it was apparent that I had bad drive line conditions and alignment that was causing my engine to work a little harder than it should have been :-)
grininmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #18
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

18 isn't bad and I doubt any tuning with that new a vehicle will really gain much. A tire change can make a difference:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...omy/index.html
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #19
guruleenyc
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do these throttle body spacers work as advertised by claiming 1-4 miles additional per gallon, which are also reviewed on these major 4x4 sites...?

Ordered one at Advanced, not sure if I will follow through....

Please advise fellow enthusiasts.
guruleenyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #20
D3f4ult
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TBS and CAI are very arguable about there improvements, if any.

I will say I change my spark plugs after 60k (the PO never did it) for $15 and 20 minutes in the parking lot and I went from 15mpg to 17mpg.
D3f4ult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

According to the manufacturer's website these should do the trick (If it wasn't true they couldn't put it on the internet).

"Airtabs™ are patented, unique wishbone shaped vortex generators designed to increase vehicle aerodynamic performance and fuel economy by reducing aerodynamic pressure drag at two key locations..."

Unfortunately, one of those "key locations" is most likely your wallet. Thinner wallet = less weight and drag.
sdsc05730.jpg  
Stinkbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #22
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruleenyc View Post
Do these throttle body spacers work as advertised by claiming 1-4 miles additional per gallon, which are also reviewed on these major 4x4 sites...?

Ordered one at Advanced, not sure if I will follow through....

Please advise fellow enthusiasts.
No, absolutely not. They do nothing when under the air-only type of throttle body modern Jeeps come with. Spacers can help when installed under carburetors and the older no-longer used throttle body injection (TBI) throttle bodies but a spacer will do absolutely nothing when under the TJ's type of throttle body.

Don't bother picking up the spacer when it comes in. If you already paid for it, cancel the order so you don't waste your $$$. Really.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.