How wide are the various Wranglers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > How wide are the various Wranglers?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 10-26-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
kurtfriedrich
2008 JK Wrangler 

How wide are the various Wranglers?

I just followed a few TJs and a YJ thru the woods, and it was clear my JK was enough wider to be a problem. I tried looking up on the web and I found these data points:

Jeep official site says 82.8" for 2008 (all models)

(site) http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/jee...086/specs.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Specs Width 82.8
1998 Jeep Wrangler Specs Width: 66.7 in.
2000 Jeep Wrangler Specs Width: 66.7 in.

(site) http://www.internetautoguide.com/car...ler/index.html
2005 Jeep Wrangler Exterior 68.3

Am I really about 14" wider??

Kurt

Unread 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No, people are on average 7" wider, hence the increased width
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
kurtfriedrich
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was surprised to find out how "chubby" the JK is. After reading conflicting measurements on various web sites, I decided to actaully measure the widths of real rigs in the parking lot where I work. I measured the widest part, excluding tires. I eyeballed this a bit, but I am sure I am within +/- 1"

08 JK 76"
08 FJ Cruiser 75"
07 H3 75"
98 TJ 66"
95 YJ 66"

So a JK is in fact 10 inches wider than the older Jeeps, and its even fatter than a friggin H3 and FJC!

Kurt
Unread 10-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
RavenCorax
1988 XJ Cherokee 

dont we all have the same axles?
Unread 10-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A TJ/YJ tub is the same width as a CJ, overall vehicle width increasing at axles on wranglers due to liability/rollover issues back when. JK almost a foot wider.
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Going along the lines of dimensions, what is the general angle of the windshield on a YJ (in relation to the horizontal)? I'm designing a light bar and want to make sure the light tabs are parallel to the ground.
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.