How To Use A Winch With No Trees Around ?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > How To Use A Winch With No Trees Around ??

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

wonder if there's an elegant way to remove them with the winch?

Unread 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #17
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsjp View Post
Even though it seems a lot of guys on here don't like hi-lifts you could use it to remove the pickets if they have a top.
That is a good idea. I always seem to beat them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
Yes, but I think it ends with the picket in the front window.
Unread 07-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
TJamie

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff
Pulling them out when you are done can be a pain.
Good reason to carry a hi-lift jack.
TJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJamie

Good reason to carry a hi-lift jack.
Yes, but i'd rather beat it out.

Sent from my iPhone
Unread 07-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #20
twitchnljeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=neatocj;11889668]a big big fat girl... but I mean immense!

wouldn't this option require that you not wheel alone?!? as she needs a way to get out there well i guess she can keep your buddy's jeep from moving while you anchor to him!
twitchnljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

We had a guy from a local 4x4 shop demo a Pull Pal at our hunting club maybe 4 or 5 years ago, it worked well. Was able to pull a pretty heavy Ram CTD off a sand bar at the river. If it could hold with that vehicle it should be a snap for any Jeep product...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #22
OldCJ
1978 CJ5 

I've heard of some people using a large chunk of chain with rebar driven through the links at an angle, but I've never tried it.
OldCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #23
alittleoff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When I got my Pull-Pal, I used it once to become familiar with it. Simple and effective. I've buried my spare tire, simple, effective and labor intensive, but that was 30+ years ago. And I still use my Hi-Lift jack to this day to change a flat or stuff rocks in a hole. There is a lot about wheeling alone that I like, although self preservation is higher on the list. Ergo the 12 ga. & 9mm hollow points. Think smart & be alert.
alittleoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #24
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittleoff View Post
When I got my Pull-Pal, I used it once to become familiar with it. Simple and effective. I've buried my spare tire, simple, effective and labor intensive, but that was 30+ years ago. And I still use my Hi-Lift jack to this day to change a flat or stuff rocks in a hole. There is a lot about wheeling alone that I like, although self preservation is higher on the list. Ergo the 12 ga. & 9mm hollow points. Think smart & be alert.
Wheel-n alone just isn't a good idea... A few months ago, I was leading a group down a steep incline, about half way down the trail makes a very sharp left turn (WTF?), anyway, the turn itself wasn't the problem, it was a washed out hole in the turn that was... my left front tire fell into this hole, and my right rear came about 3 foot in the air. At that moment, moving my body made the Jeep move, no way for me to safely even get out of the Jeep much less do anything to keep it from going over the hill. If I had been wheel-n alone, I guess sooner or later, someone would have found my body.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I think a Danforth-style marine anchor would work really well. Good strength-to-weight ratio, bulky, but you could keep it on a roof rack.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #26
Keojoe1981
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
You can bury the end into the sand and then have a monster from the movie "TREMORS" bite down on it and sliver and bury in the opposite direction. I am only kidding, you can either get a pully system..no no no no no no no no no no no no no, wait.... oh yeah have one of your friends go with you.. No really I am only playing... if all else fails you can get a REEEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG cable that will reach a tree of some sort.... OR you can just take a heavy duty 4-5 foot stake and hammer it down at a 45 degree angle away from you and hook the end to the bottom and that should work.. Plus if you have a hammer then it might only cost you about 10-20 dollars for a heavy duty stake... I hope the end state helps you at all... God bless,
joe
Keojoe1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #27
Lre78hd
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What a bout a couple mobile home tie downs? Screw them in the ground and unscrew when done. Not bulky relatively easy to store. Just a thought
Lre78hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #28
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm picturing metal stakes in the ground with all that tension on the line. If they were to suddenly let go, someone could get an eye put out.

But I guess if you are alone, coming home with one eye is better than not coming home at all.

I prefer the second, third, or more Jeep option.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #29
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
Pull Pals are pricey, but they work well in dirt, sand and packed snow.
thanks for the link, I am going to order one
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.