How To Use A Winch With No Trees Around ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > How To Use A Winch With No Trees Around ??

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!

Unread 07-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Timmac
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How To Use A Winch With No Trees Around ??

Thinking of getting a winch for my Rubi but was wondering if I ever got stuck off road alone here in the desert where I live what do you attach the winch to, should I carry a heavy hammer and a steel stake, zero trees and some rocks around here but most rocks are to small, will a metal stake do the job..

Timmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
cerebrus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A shovel and bury the spare tire............
Some companies also make anchors for sand and dirt.
cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't go alone and winch to another rig...
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your buddy's Jeep.
Really shouldn't wheel alone...
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

a big big fat girl... but I mean immense!

Best not to wheel alone, might break something your winch isn't going to help with.

Spare tire trick works decent at times, the anchor is pretty decent too. Cheapest trick is friends!! use them...
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
Your buddy's Jeep.
Unfortunately it never works out the way you'd want, at least for me it doesn't. We nearly always have to anchor the recovering vehicle.

Pull Palls are pricey. But they work well in dirt, sand and packed snow.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
Unfortunately it never works out the way you'd want, at least for me it doesn't. We nearly always have to anchor the recovering vehicle.

That's on my list. Thanks for the link.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
Timmac
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

That PullPal looks like a good idea..
Yes I know not to jeep alone but I don't tend to do much servere off road either, just back roads and such but try to avoid mud if possible, would like to be set up to take care of myself when alone, spent many years alone on dirt bikes out in the desert [dual sports], thats just me, drove on a flat tire for 10 miles just to get back to a main road to flag somone down for a cell phone to call wife, she was not happy, tire was toast and rim pretty beat up but those were great times.

Any other advice would be great, oh yea I do take my cell phone now and plenty of water..

Timmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
your buddy's jeep.
this.........
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yeah last time we had to winch somebody, we had the recovery vehicle tow strapped to another rig behind him and then that rig was tow strapped to the tree.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your buddy's Jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
this.........
How is that going to help the OP? Or any of us in that situation for that matter.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
55willystruck

While I'd love a pul-pal, they're just too much for me at the moment. What I carry with me is a set of 3 stakes that are 18-24" in length, about 3/4" or 1" diameter that I welded a large washer and nut at the end of. I pound these in the ground about 10' apart and hook a strap to them to keep them together, then winch off the first one. Angle them in away from you, hook up and go. This has worked for me many times to get out of a jam when there's no trees in reach. I don't like carrying the weight or storing these, but man, they've saved my butt many times and I think they cost me all of "free" to buy. Got the scrap from somewhere I forget that was just old garbage rods. Cut to size and away you go. Check scrap bins at the steel yard as well.

The tire method works very well too-but requires time to dig a big hole to bury it. Another method that works-or can work-is trench a relatively deep trench in a big circle, lay your strap in there then pull off the strap. While I've never done this myself thanks to having the stakes handy, I have heard from a few old timers that they did it in a pinch as a last resort and got JUST enough to get out of the jam. Obviously not for serious stucks, but sometimes just a little is all you need. The stakes are a pain to carry, along with big hammer, but have always worked. Someday I will be able to afford a pul-pal to try one of those out.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
While I'd love a pul-pal, they're just too much for me at the moment. What I carry with me is a set of 3 stakes that are 18-24" in length, about 3/4" or 1" diameter that I welded a large washer and nut at the end of. I pound these in the ground about 10' apart and hook a strap to them to keep them together, then winch off the first one. Angle them in away from you, hook up and go. This has worked for me many times to get out of a jam when there's no trees in reach. I don't like carrying the weight or storing these, but man, they've saved my butt many times and I think they cost me all of "free" to buy. Got the scrap from somewhere I forget that was just old garbage rods. Cut to size and away you go. Check scrap bins at the steel yard as well.

The tire method works very well too-but requires time to dig a big hole to bury it. Another method that works-or can work-is trench a relatively deep trench in a big circle, lay your strap in there then pull off the strap. While I've never done this myself thanks to having the stakes handy, I have heard from a few old timers that they did it in a pinch as a last resort and got JUST enough to get out of the jam. Obviously not for serious stucks, but sometimes just a little is all you need. The stakes are a pain to carry, along with big hammer, but have always worked. Someday I will be able to afford a pul-pal to try one of those out.

Best of Luck,

Mike
I have done this also. I picked up three old axle shafts from a pick-n-pull, and ground a point on the end to help set them. I used heavy webbing to connect them front the top of the first to the base of the second and so on back. We always called them "pickets"

Pulling them out when you are done can be a pain.
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
txsjp
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Even though it seems a lot of guys on here don't like hi-lifts you could use it to remove the pickets if they have a top.
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
BrianBFD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have seen what I considered a large boat anchor used a couple of times.

If fishing is a sport, does that make me an athlete?
BrianBFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.