how strong is jb weld? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > how strong is jb weld?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
fabian9931
2000 XJ Cherokee 

how strong is jb weld?

How strong is jb weld? I dont have a welder and I dont know anyone who has a welder also. So I wanted to make my own roof rack out of conduit. I have a miter saw that I would just to 45 the corners. My question is how strong is jb weld. It would be used on the 45 angle corners and down the middle to act as a T. I used it to jb weld a BOV on my turbo integra and held great, but thats PSI. I will just use it to carry my spare tire and also maybe some lugage. I dont go off roading

It will be bolted to my stock rails

fabian9931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

In my experience, JB Weld is about as strong as Elmer's glue.
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
In my experience, JB Weld is about as strong as Elmer's glue.
This.

10char
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Used within a VERY specific range of use, it can be incredibly strong, but not for what you're considering. Not to be a wet blanket, but I don't thing conduit will work that well as a rack, either. I would think that the weight of a spare tire would eventually bend it, what with all of the bouncing and etc. that your vehicle goes through. Gas pipe would work better, but then you're back to welding. But, you can buy a 110volt small mig welder pretty cheap these days. I think you could get a non-name-brand for $100 or less. Then, get some scrap pipe and practice for a couple of days. You'll get it figured out, and then you have a new tool and a new skill!

Oh, and JB Weld DOES NOT hold up to race gas. There's a (funny) reason I know this...
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Duck tape would probably be just as strong as the JB. If you talking about using thinwall EMT conduit (typical conduit we run wire through) it will not support much weight at all. You could probably use rigid EMT minimum 1" and it would be much stronger. Also, the rigid will hold up to a welder. Just my $.02.
09 GMC(work truck)
Treeslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Might wanna think about the liability problems if your roof rack comes apart and dumps a tire on the highway. A good rack is only like $300 it might be worth saving for.
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

I still think you should learn to run a small MIG. A skill you will find uses for the rest of your life, and it's actually quite fun.

But, having said that, I suppose you COULD go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy galvanized or black pipe, and also the pre-made joints. Between some good pipe-dope and a pair of stout wrenches, you might be able to get it solid enough.

But, you really should weld it...
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Sloth_Fratelli
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i wouldnt use JB if your putting all that on there you dont you use a corner bracket and metal screws or bolts at the 45 angles? damnit now i wanna come over and help you get this sum***** done. only two reasons i wont is im a few hundred miles away and ive watched jersey shore before, never gonna go east of pennsylvania if i dont have to
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
fabian9931
2000 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the replies guys. fist pump!
fabian9931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That wouldnt happen to be a reference of Jersey Shore would it?
Unread 01-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Sloth_Fratelli
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth_Fratelli View Post
ionly two reasons i wont is im a few hundred miles away and ive watched jersey shore before, never gonna go east of pennsylvania if i dont have to

brah.

ten word minimum takes away the sting of that

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.