How to re-paint a fiberglass body ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > How to re-paint a fiberglass body ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-31-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
syphonation
1982 CJ8 

How to re-paint a fiberglass body ?

I recently bought a CJ5 that has a brand new fiberglass body kit on it. Whoever painted it didn't know what they were doing, apparently. There are cracks, chips, runs, etc in the current paintjob. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the color.

What is the best way to go about re-painting fiberglass? I did a bit of reading on Google and the most common answer seems to be to flat sand the old paint until the gloss is gone, then apply new paint. Other people say media blasting, some say using fiberglass paint stripper, etc.

Has anybody here had a good/bad experience with any of these techniques? I'm leaning towards flat sanding just to be on the safe side. I'm just worried that the new paint won't adhere well over the old.

Any help is appreciated

syphonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

How you prep will depend on how you are going to paint. Rattle can, roller, spray at home or spray in a booth ? Car show finish or good enough for 4x4 trails finish ? Sanding the old paint smooth is sufficient. Fiberglass or steel, the prep is essentially the same. Any other methods to remove the previous paint will increase the cost of the paint job for labor, materials, and priming the bare body. If you are going to apply low cost or low tech finish, why bother with removing the old paint.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
coldwater
CJ7 

Flat sand it as best you can to the gelcoat, and wipe it down with acetone. A 2 part epoxy sandable primer, and a top coat of PPG Concept paint. Concept paint is used a great deal on corvettes because it remains slightly elastic, and is tough. I painted mine nearly 13 years ago this way and it still looks great.
Unread 04-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Moon_Rover
2000 TJ Wrangler 

fiberglass will form spider cracks from vibrations. Its just how it is and with current mixing you really cant avoid it. Now the thing is can you make them seem less severe, less visible so you dont have to do it again a month after. Yes you can. You will need to go "all out" on primer. Also spray it couple times with primer as you want as much of it as possible. I have seen primers that are like rubber which are very good. Basically if the fiberglass gets a small spider crack, you dont want it to crack the primer and then the paint. Also try to get a same color primer as the top coat. The closer the better. On bikes thats a huge problem since they have even more vibrations. I've seen tons of spider cracks. For me many layers of primer has worked very good.
Moon_Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
syphonation
1982 CJ8 

Great advice guys. Thanks a lot.
syphonation is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.