How long will you let gas sit in a gas can? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > How long will you let gas sit in a gas can?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

How long will you let gas sit in a gas can?

I usually have one of my two gas cans on my tire carrier full all the time.

But gas goes bad so I don't like to let it sit too long before using it.
The question is how long is too long? How long do you let your gas
sit in gas cans before you rotate it?

72 CJ5 258-3spd d30-d20-d44
[QUOTE=Bsktbll109;6293409]Does your rearend guy do gears?[/QUOTE]
5artist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Six months give or take. But I've had a can for my mower and that thing gets filled up every couple of years and the mower runs fine.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer which will keep the gas from going bad. Just about any boating supply store carries it and so do most automotive supply stores. http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

sta-bil is good stuff. put some in the generator after hurricane katrina. didn't expect it to actually keep the gas good, just didn't want it to get/gum up. hurricane gustav rolls around (YEARS later) and i fired that generator up on the same gas.

FWIW though, why don't you just fill your tank with the gas cans when your at the pump and then top off the tank and refill the cans at the same time?
Tony89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
spokanecj7
1976 CJ7 

I had 5 gal of gas sitting in a can for about a year...I forgot it was there. I found it about the time gas prices were going through the roof last year and couldnt stand the thought of wasting it. I used it in my lawn mower all summer and didnt have any trouble....probably just lucky. I figured if it killed the lawn mower so what.
76 CJ7 304, Holley 470TA, edelbrock manifold, headers w/shorty exhaust, 4.5" Rubicon w/shackle rev, 35/12.5 KM2's, rv cam, 4.56 gears, one piece axles, 9.5ti winch, rock crawler steps, warn bumpers, custom roll cage, stainless dash, corbeau seats w/racing harness, more, more, more...
spokanecj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat man.

I have one Jerry can I always keep around and take with me on off-road trips. The longest I have ever let it sit was a month. I usually put it in my fuel tank when I refuel then put new gas back in the can.

Gotta cycle it.

I've heard good things about those gas stabilizers though. FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I use Sta-bil in my boat all the time. never had a problem with it starting in the spring. it's supposed to stabalize fuel for 1 year. I add it to my lawn mower gas tanks also, more in the fall so the fuel tanks in the weed eater, chainsaw, tiller and mower/tractor have it for the winter.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Jblankster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ive had sta-bil in my minibike gas tank for about a year and 3 months. of course i would drive it and fill it every now and then, but its still lasted and runs perfectly.
Jblankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
syphonation
1982 CJ8 

In a passenger vehicle...if I was sure there was no water in it, I'd feel ok using gas that was 5-6 months old.

If it's going in a lawn mower or something like that, I don't really worry about it.
syphonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I use the gas stabilizer in my two cans and change it mevery couple of years. Never had a problem using it.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Gas degrades very quickly from what I read, 2-3 months. I use stabalizer all the time. When I store a seasonal engine I add fuel stabalizer and run engine till it runs out of fuel. Keeps what is left inthe bowl and lines from gum up. If the tank is metal I leave it full of stabalized fuel so it doesnot rust. Still need to run the stabalzied fuel tru the engine. I store my CJ in winter and put stablizer in the fuel tank before storage. The stuff work and is well known.

Stablized fuel is good for like 1 yr max but have heard more. For the extra gas tanks use stabalizer and rotate the fuel every spring and fall.

I have been using the stuff for 15 years or so.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
spinaltapls1

I have used stabil in a lot of stuff. so i didnt think twice about using it in my seadoo. last spring i could not get it to run worth a crap. i ended up draining the tank and putting fresh gas in it. the seadoo is supercharged not sure if it didn like the stabil are what any ideas.
spinaltapls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
fasassvalk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sta bil

Sta bil
Good stuff, I was hurt and could not ride the motorcycle for over a year, I used it and it was good to go and it has six carbs on it.
Any gas stored will lose some octane quality, if it has been stored a while just add a little octane boost to it to bring it back up.
fasassvalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.