How the hell?!?!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > How the hell?!?!?!?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-06-2001, 08:26 PM   #1
Rockwall

How the hell?!?!?!?

hi
I have bought a jeep 91 yl 2.5l modified air intake, 2" body lift, 4" rancho lift, stock tires.

I need to know if I have a slip yoke or not and if I don't have one should I have one?
also what does a slip yoke do????

Rockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2001, 10:00 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, with a 4" suspension lift, you either have a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) installed or you have a transfer case drop installed. Do you see spacers between your transfercase skid and your frame? That would be a tcase drop.

Stock, the ouput of your tcase is a slip yoke. The end of the driveshaft slides in and out of the tcase tailhousing. This is to allow the driveshaft to lengthen and shorten based on what your rear axle is doing in relation to the rest of the Jeep.

There's two problems with this setup. First is the drivetrain angle. Once you lift the Jeep, the only way to correct the driveshaft angle is to drop the tcase a little less than 2", which changes the upper angle. The angle on the pinion must be parallel so you must shim the rear axle up 2 degrees to match the new tcase output angle. The second problem with this setup is that if for some reason you have a failure that requires you to remove your rear driveshaft, your fluid will pour out the hole the driveshaft was in.

Dropping the tcase and shimming the rear axle is not the ideal situation, but it works for lifts up to about 4". You can plug the hole with just about anything to get you home in front wheel drive if you have to also.

The ideal situation is to eliminate the slip yoke with one of the half dozen kits available so that the hole is permanently plugged. You will have to install a driveshaft that has the slip built into the shaft. The SYE will additionally allow you to run a CV type shaft. With a CV shaft you basically have two u-joints at the top of the shaft. They split the angle by themselves. So you rotate the pinion up until it is within 2 degrees of the driveshaft angle. Takes mucho stress off of the pinion joint. Also, you can run much steeper angles this way. If you go over 4", you pretty much have to do this mod.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2001, 03:43 PM   #3
kegmaster
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would only recomend it if you have bad driveline vibes or if you bind your suspension. I have about 7 inches of lift in my XJ and have no problems(yet). A decent on will run you about 400-600 so be ready to throw down some locker money.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.