How do I clean this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > How do I clean this?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How do I clean this?

Ive tried the following methods to cleaning my fairlead and nothing seems to work:

Rubbing with acitone, sanding, waxing, and using a metal brush thing.

Can someone please tell me what to do to get this not so gunkey looking?
Should i invest in new rollers?

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Remove the snap-rings that hold the roller axles in place, push out the axles, remove the rollers, scrub with Scotchbrite pads. Lube the axles and put it back together. Done.
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! ill give it a try.
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
ShowroomShine
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go pick up the strongest wheel cleaner you can find at the local autoparts store. It should have some light acid in it. When I have to detail big rigs or aluminum pontoons on boats, I have to strip them first with acid to buff them shiny.
ShowroomShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

bump. See if there is any new suggestions out there.
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I'm rebuilding them for resale, I normally just replace the rollers and paint the housing. I've tried several different methods on the rollers and they all end up looking like crap after a few months.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
danielatc4w

Have you tried a wire brush or really fine sanding paper? A dremel / drill should make quick work of the oxidation.
danielatc4w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I bet WD40, some steel wool, and some elbow grease would go a long way. Works well to clean off any oxidation or rust from metal surfaces.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

All those steel rollers are zinc plated with a clear chromate on them. Once they have started to corrode you only option is to have them replated or just clean and paint it. And scrubbing with sand paper or steel wool will just remove the zinc then they will just rust.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
danielatc4w

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
I bet WD40, some steel wool, and some elbow grease would go a long way. Works well to clean off any oxidation or rust from metal surfaces.
Didnt think about WD40. Far as that goes rubbing compound might work. Thought what I was looking at was oxidation. I guess it could be corrosion? Dont think I would target the actual rollers with paint. Seems like paint chips would eventually fill your drum and decorate your line.
danielatc4w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The black spots you see is the zinc plating all ready corroding where the chromate has worn off. Paint or not its not a big deal and yes your wire will remove the paint. If its that big of a deal swap to a synthetic line and buy an aluminum fairlead. A new roller is about 30.00 bucks out here.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
carlakins

Do not use wd40 leaves residue, use pb blaster much better, I would also use ASFO, it kills any rust the buff and coast with oil, pb blaster, even olive oil works, use it on boat winches all the time.
carlakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Ill give these new ideas a shot. As much as I would like to have a synthetic line Im not sure if its worth it to put a $250 synthetic set up on my $250 winch.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.