How to build a Cherokee rock crawler ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > How to build a Cherokee rock crawler ?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 05-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
ParisDakar
KJ Liberty 

How to build a Cherokee rock crawler ?

So my Dad has an old Cherokee that he may trade. I'm thinking of buying it cheap & building a rock crawler so that my son & I can go crawling around the backwoods where I have some forest land.

I know very little about rock crawling other than to keep the undercarriage off the big rocks. I mostly drive sports cars on tracks so I'm used to driving fast so this slower stuff is new to me

So what are the most important things you need in a rock crawler. Obviously I'll need a large lift w enormous wheel travel, big tires, a winch, some underbody armor.

But how much hp & torque do I want ? Is the stock auto trans strong enough ? Can I swap the gears ? What else do I need ?

Thanks

ParisDakar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
nicexj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

There is a ton of stuff you can do. If you wanted to to it right, I would recommend you go long arm, and not to tall.

This is a cool Y link kit. It comes with belly armor, and the arms. Match that with a Rusty's 4 or 6 inch lift.

TNT customs Y-link kit
Rustys 4.5" lift

I like to go low, and slow. Big lifts make you tipsy. Low and slow gets to go.

For some real eye candy check this out
Pirate4x4 Cherokee section

2001 XJ 3" Rusty's aal, 31x10.5 Good Year Authorities Powertrax No slip Locker in the rear
nicexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
nicexj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Also, a great read if you want some bathroom eye candy is Eric's book
High-Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide 1984-2001

2001 XJ 3" Rusty's aal, 31x10.5 Good Year Authorities Powertrax No slip Locker in the rear
Unread 05-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check out NAXJA (North American XJ Association).

http://www.naxja.org

UM
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
nicexj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

First of all, not that JeepForum isn't great, and North American XJ association is also. But the Pirates are playing on a whole different level. I don't even talk there, I just look at all the awesome work that is going down.

One of my favorites. Removable top XJ

Unread 05-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
jreycnc
1980 CJ5 

For rock crawling, you really want high clearance, not high lift. Low center of Gravity with as much undercarriage clearance as you can manage. You can usually do this with a smallish lift and cutting up the fenders. This will let you run bigger tires to get your pumpkins and drivetrain away from the ground while staying low(ish). Also, a good first step is to lock the front and rear axles to get better traction.
jreycnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
nicexj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That is actually the logic behind the Ylink under belly armor that I was linking to earlier. It pulls your upper control arm mounts higher up than stock, and gives a smoother, higher clearance in the center of the under body. 4.5 inch lift is just taller than what I run, and I think I would be happier on 33s, so 3 inches just won't cut it without some serious body mods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.