how big of winch>? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > how big of winch>?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 03-18-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
drew76924
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how big of winch>?

how big of winch should i get with my 97 4cyl i was thinking 8000# but i see most guys with 9000#

drew76924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
bryans98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

8000# would do it but if you can afford a 9000# get it. At the very least it would be less strain on the winch itself.

-b
bryans98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
6tonTJ

I worked for Superwinch about seven years ago. I am not trying to plug the company, after all I did quit. The best winches to come out of there for the money is the X6 or S6000 24volt setup. You would of course have to have a dual batteries. These winches will pull 7500 lbs easily (first cable layer) and stall around 8200. The 12v (same winch) will stall around 7000 lbs. I have the X6CD 12v and have found no need for more power, but not to say that in some cases more power might come in handy in the future. The X9 and S9000 12v are also good winches. They have changed the motors since I worked there so I cannot comment on the pulling capacity, but the 24v 9000 lbs series were by far awesome. Stalling at close to 11,000 lbs. The X6 and S6000 remain unchanged as far as I know. If you have plans of going to dual batteries I would consider a 24v winch.
6tonTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

8,000 lbs minimun is the standard wisdom. 9,000 pound winches have become popular, as a marketing tool.

Everyone had an 8,000 lb in their lineup, so the mfg's that got 9,000 lb units at nearly the same $ picked up sales. Now, they all have 9,000 lb units.

Get the highest quality, largest capacity you can afford (in that order). The nice thing about increased capacity, is that even if you don't need more than 8,000, a 9,000 lb unit will draw less/run cooler than its 8,000 lb couterpart, when pulling the same weight.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
drew76924
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ya thanx guys i think i'll wait a little longer and save up for the 9000# .i don't have enough money for warn so thats out hows milemarker are those nice i found some good deals on those i think they r made my warn but i dunno
drew76924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, the search function is down on the site.

There are TONS of threads about different winches and brands. You have to do a lot of reading to sift through the "only buy a Warn" stuff that people (who have never used a winch, or never seen another brand) write.

That said, I went through a lot the info, ended up spending more than my budget, and bought the lowest priced Warn (happy with the choice).

To to read the posts from the people that actually have and use the winches you are looking at.

My perception is that quality / value seems to lean in this order (only talking electric winches here, Mile Marker hydraulics are loved by the people that have them):

Warn
Ramsey
Tabor (made by Warn)
Superwinch
Mile Marker

One of my favorite recent winch threads:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/winch-decision-making-time-239788/

Thread with some spec's:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/winch-specs-237333/

Plug for forum vendor: If I was buying a winch today, I'd get it from http://www.offroadoverstock.com. biffstephens is a forum member, and vendor there
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
TAMUJeep

I've always heard you need a winch that can pull 1.5 times your vehicles weight. Or 1.5 times the biggest vehicle that you wheel with.
TAMUJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
anebrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd11231
I've always heard you need a winch that can pull 1.5 times your vehicles weight. Or 1.5 times the biggest vehicle that you wheel with.
x2 on the 1.5x's the weight, everything I've read in books/magazines states that as the minimum.
anebrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY
There are TONS of threads about different winches and brands. You have to do a lot of reading to sift through the "only buy a Warn" stuff that people (who have never used a winch, or never seen another brand) write.
Go Warn
Modifying a Jeep costs money. Wheeling - and breaking - costs significantly more.
Iceman_RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
Lcars
Nanners...MMMM..Toasty

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's not size that counts, but how you use it.
A 6k can pull 12,000 lbs, even 18,000 if you do it right.
Originally Posted by JungleLarry
THAT'S MY DICK IN YOUR B*TT!
(Edited for content.)
N7GTJ
View my Paddock Pool construction nightmare at http://www.paddockpoolsucks.com/
Lcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
Bushar99TJ

8000 pound, 9000 pound, 9500... doesn't really matter. You could throw a 2000 pound winch on your Jeep and still work just fine. It's all about line speed, really. Anything you can do with a winch, you can do with a ratchet comealong, as long as you have the proper rigging. Snatch blocks are the secret. Say you have a 4000 pound pull to do. A 9000 pound winch will obviously pull it no problem. But say you have a 1-ton comealong. Hook it up to your Jeep, run the cable to a nearby tree or other dead-man and run the end of the cable back to your Jeep. Now you essentially have 2 tons of pulling power. Same goes for winches... it's all about how you rig it. Each part of line you have running back and forth properly through blocks reduces the amount of pulling power required. It'll take more time, but still do the same amount of pulling. If you run from your Jeep to a tree, back to the Jeep, back to the tree and back to the Jeep again, you'll only need 1,000 lbs of pulling power on the aforementioned 4,000 lb pull. So really the only important thing is the WLL (Working Load Limit) of your wire rope, chains, straps and blocks.

But that aside, I'd go with a 9,000 lb at least. Then you don't have to be smart about snatch blocks and stuff.
Bushar99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #12
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushar99TJ
You could throw a 2000 pound winch on your Jeep and still work just fine. It's all about line speed, really. Anything you can do with a winch, you can do with a ratchet comealong, as long as you have the proper rigging. Snatch blocks are the secret.
for all the money you spend on a couple of snatch blocks to make an underpowered winch work, you might just as well get a (at least 8,000 #) Warn winch right away
Modifying a Jeep costs money. Wheeling - and breaking - costs significantly more.
Iceman_RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2006, 11:45 PM   #13
cb19950
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushar99TJ
8000 pound, 9000 pound, 9500... doesn't really matter. You could throw a 2000 pound winch on your Jeep and still work just fine. It's all about line speed, really. Anything you can do with a winch, you can do with a ratchet comealong, as long as you have the proper rigging. Snatch blocks are the secret. Say you have a 4000 pound pull to do. A 9000 pound winch will obviously pull it no problem. But say you have a 1-ton comealong. Hook it up to your Jeep, run the cable to a nearby tree or other dead-man and run the end of the cable back to your Jeep. Now you essentially have 2 tons of pulling power. Same goes for winches... it's all about how you rig it. Each part of line you have running back and forth properly through blocks reduces the amount of pulling power required. It'll take more time, but still do the same amount of pulling. If you run from your Jeep to a tree, back to the Jeep, back to the tree and back to the Jeep again, you'll only need 1,000 lbs of pulling power on the aforementioned 4,000 lb pull. So really the only important thing is the WLL (Working Load Limit) of your wire rope, chains, straps and blocks.

But that aside, I'd go with a 9,000 lb at least. Then you don't have to be smart about snatch blocks and stuff.
wait huh
cb19950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:13 AM   #14
Fat Boy

Quote:
wait huh
Was that supposed to be... What, huh?

If so, read it. Simple to understand. As long as both winches have the same working load limit than a 2000lb winch can pull the same amount of load as a 8000lb winch. Difference is the 8000lb winch can do it as a straight pull and the 2000lb would have to to use snatch blocks to multiply the power.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2006, 12:26 AM   #15
telephonebilly

Go big you might not have enough line to set up a block and tackle. Also the gear needed for bolck and tackle set up takes up room and we all know how inportant room is in a jeep. I use a waren xdi9000 and to night was the frist time i ran out of power i droped a front tire in a wash out and could not pull forward. My bumper dug in. i had to run the cable under my jeep and out the back to pull back. My wife was with me and she was hacked off at our little detour on our way to eat sushi.
telephonebilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.