Homemade snorkel issue?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Homemade snorkel issue??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

damn dude... thats a helluva long, restrictive straw to be breathing through. I can see why your mileage tanked. Maybe it's time to find a place to patch that hole.... and cut another one.
so what do you think you'll do now?

ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
fawr
2013 JK Wrangler 

yeah...but 4" PVC is a little absurd!

I re-engineered the air box today, taking a hint from one of the forum members and ditching the factory air box for a sewer elbow. the air comes in at a 90 degree to the filter now and that's all under the hood. I'll post pictures once I get home again. I gained a few back to 12.5-15 mpg as I tested it out today (and that's running two high performance filters in line (don't want to drive around with an open pipe...

My ram came in today, once I replace the stovepipe filter with the ram I hope to see some gain in mpg as well (hoping to catch some high pressure at the top of the windshield.
Thanks to everyone for giving some great ideas!
fawr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

I have 3" on mine and it works great no difference

rdsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #19
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawr View Post
yeah...but 4" PVC is a little absurd!

I re-engineered the air box today, taking a hint from one of the forum members and ditching the factory air box for a sewer elbow. the air comes in at a 90 degree to the filter now and that's all under the hood. I'll post pictures once I get home again. I gained a few back to 12.5-15 mpg as I tested it out today (and that's running two high performance filters in line (don't want to drive around with an open pipe...

My ram came in today, once I replace the stovepipe filter with the ram I hope to see some gain in mpg as well (hoping to catch some high pressure at the top of the windshield.
Thanks to everyone for giving some great ideas!

What the...

One filter... 1. You can have be inline, or capped, but just 1. You've heard of water boarding right? That's what you're doing to your engine... minus the water.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #20
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsk8ter View Post
I have 3" on mine and it works great no difference

heyyyy that's pretty snazzy!! and on a 4.2 no less! This picture here, I take it that's your glove box?

def x2 on getting rid of one of those 2 filters, I'd say the first one. No need for it really, and it just makes it harder to breathe.
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

yea its run where the glove box should be Ill eventually make a smaller glove box but not yet
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #22
paulyboy
1996 ZJ 

I know I have a ZJ but when I did mine I didn't notice any horrible loss im mpg and i made mine 2.5 inch piping. You can hear it suck air but man when the jeep gets dirty I just attach a hose and use it as a shop vac.

paulyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
fawr
2013 JK Wrangler 

no no silly, i wouldnt run two filters under any any regular circumstances, just while i tested the new filter in the elbow, i kept the stovepipe filter on the top end so nothing would fall down inside. i drove it maybe 5min to test out the setup. then took off the stove top and put the ram on. photos added here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040004...eat=directlink

then i decided i didn't like the ram top....! no noticeable difference and ugly to boot.
so.... i ditched the elbow filter, put the stovepipe back up and reworked the airbox connection ( the area where it would be...)...photos also here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040004...eat=directlink

what do you guys think about this setup? shoot holes in it please...mpgs are 13.5-19! depending on wind direction!

bw

Last edited by fawr; 04-19-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
abrooks4u
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My mileage went down over the last few months... I think cause I went up on tire size but my check engine light would come on and go off and would never be on when I had a chance to scan it... so yesterday it did and the TPS was bad... hope it improves now
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
abrooks4u
2003 TJ Wrangler 

@paulyboy ... Bucket Head's pretty cool man... lol
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
abrooks4u
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried a bigger cold air box?
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #27
Jeep-N-0311
1984 CJ7 

A couple of thoughts;
A) As has been pointed out many times, that's a L-O-N-G path for the air to travel;
B) every tight bend in that path creates friction on the airflow;
C) That flex pipe (and there's a LOT of it) has 2 issues;
1) because it IS flex pipe, it'll flex inward as vacuum is drawn by the engine intake; &
2) due to it's shape (plus the shape it assumes under vacuum) all those ribs (and spaces between) create disruption to smooth airflow;
D) In addition to the (old) cap-type being in a low-pressure zone, its shape may receive air-force from the forward side (not that much, since it's a semi-solid wall, it'll actually build a wall of air in front of the filter), but it's creating vacuum on the rear side (higher % than force on the front side) - the faster you go, the greater the vacuum.

Something you might want to consider about the new ram-air intake; put some ribbons (like the tassels on a little girl's bike handles) around (as in, "in the area of" ... like, on extensions) the intake, and, as you drive - check out how they blow around. This will give you a visual indication of how effective the the scoop actually is at "air-ramming". You might end up undercutting the scoop to increase airflow into it (or something).

As for the suggestion about placing the intake in the high-pressure area at the windshield base ... I guess, if it works for you, then it works for you; but I don't know why someone would go to the trouble (+ cost + cut up the hood) to raise the air intake only 3-5 inches.

Just my $0.02

NOT to hijack the thread, but ....
BTW - anyone know a good seal for the MC2100/2150 from the snorkel piping? Will the intake head from a later 4.0 (fuel injected) work? Will the TJ intake cap (as shown in the OP's photos) fit and seal?
Jeep-N-0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #28
fawr
2013 JK Wrangler 

Been thinking of that flex pipe...I think an elbow off the carb with a straight pipe to the passenger side and out the fender... close up the hole I put in the front. Anywho I think this thread has served its purpose! Thanks everyone!
BW
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #29
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

I give up whats the clear tube going to?
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #30
hzryr61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsk8ter View Post
I give up whats the clear tube going to?
HAHA, I was thinking the same thing! (but it does look cool)
hzryr61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
diy , homemade , mods , mpg , snorkel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.