JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Homemade snorkel issue?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/homemade-snorkel-issue-1356456/)

fawr 04-13-2012 09:17 PM

Homemade snorkel issue??

So I built a homemade snorkel for the jeep....
extended the vent lines...
waterproofed the plugs, airbox, etc (still working on connectors each weekend)...
I bought a OBD II scanner and input my jeep profile (trouble shooting something else/tinkering)....

and that's when I noticed my MPG's had dropped considerably. A full tank used to get me 250+ miles

Now I'm getting 10-12 mpg.

What gives? considering all good ideas and opinions! please help!

ps also installed a winch, and aux gas tank but I can't imagine those being a factor.

VietVet67 04-13-2012 09:22 PM

Added weight of the winch and it's harder for the engine to pull the air that far thru the snorkel?? spark plug shorted out?? Just some quesses on my part??

fawr 04-13-2012 10:07 PM

I don't know about the 100lbs in winch, seems trivial, my MPG doesn't tank when my GF comes along.

I changed all the plugs yesterday hoping that would help, it didn't.

I ordered a ram air neck to help the air along. perhaps?

222Doc 04-14-2012 08:45 AM

well the ram air is fine if you are going 80+mph all the time. Unless you put it in a high preasure area it wont do much unless its like a giant funnel.

fawr 04-14-2012 11:56 AM

I did some research last night and found that same result. Snorkels with rams don't work as ram airs. The reason I got the ram was because my brother suggested my stovepipe with filter was creating a low pressure zone at the top and not being able to suck in air effectively, that coupled with a long tube might be starving the engine of O2.

I'm at a loss. It just went from 16mpg to 10-11mpg overnight.. hard to say exactly when it happened but it was definitely after the entire snorkel project was done.

Spuznick242 04-14-2012 06:35 PM

Well thats easy to test, take off your stove top cover and see if your MPGS improve.

jamesdart 04-14-2012 06:48 PM

what size pipe did you use?

Anticanman 04-14-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spuznick242 (Post 13411320)
Well thats easy to test, take off your stove top cover and see if your MPGS improve.

This is an easy way to see if you have any restrictions there

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesdart (Post 13411377)
what size pipe did you use?

This would be step 2 in the restriction checklist.

By the way, did you seal your distributor amidst this waterproofing tangent?

ClimbStuff 04-14-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 13411647)
By the way, did you seal your distributor amidst this waterproofing tangent?

I believe all 03-06 TJ's are Coil on Plug.

I would like to see a picture of this snorkel... may be some design issues causing some flow problems. Hopefully you're using something like this to make your low clearance 90's...

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=CHEW

Anticanman 04-14-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClimbStuff (Post 13412253)
I believe all 03-06 TJ's are Coil on Plug.

I learned something new. :thumbsup: thanks!!:cheers2:

kylekae 04-15-2012 05:03 PM

10 MPG is my normal but I have a 5000 pound lj :)

fawr 04-15-2012 11:57 PM

i did take the snorkel off and put the regular filter back on...averaging 14.5mpg now. i couldnt imagine 3" pipe would be that hard to move air through. anyways i guess ill be taking design suggestions here now
as for your replys, thanks!
lets see if i can answer them all...

cant post photos just yet, too new but a few posts more...

yes they are coil on plug... (i wonder if a missfire will throw an error code...)

i used 3" od pvc, about 3 feet long following the body line from just behind the hood latch to just above the mirror. went thru the hood and connected to the air box's 3" hole with a flexible 3" tuner hose. used a k&n style cone filter up by the windshield and threw a dry charger sock on it.

stil waiting on that ram snorkel top....coming from malaysia, 25$ vs 100$ seemed like they couldnt be too different in manufacturing a plastic thingamajig...but then again i hace been wrong very recently....

ThomasYJ 04-16-2012 12:12 AM

hey bud, welcome to the forum! :highfive:

Maybe I can solve your snorkel issues. Do a search on here for a hummer style intake. it will go through your cowl, and puts the intake right in the high pressure zone at the bottom of the windshield. that may not be a huge help but what will be is that it will be one of the shortest paths you can take. Use a ~98 windstar intake, you'll be golden. :thumbsup: it sucks that youve cut your hood already though.

ClimbStuff 04-16-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawr (Post 13417261)
i did take the snorkel off and put the regular filter back on...averaging 14.5mpg now. i couldnt imagine 3" pipe would be that hard to move air through. anyways i guess ill be taking design suggestions here now
as for your replys, thanks!
lets see if i can answer them all...

cant post photos just yet, too new but a few posts more...

yes they are coil on plug... (i wonder if a missfire will throw an error code...)

i used 3" od pvc, about 3 feet long following the body line from just behind the hood latch to just above the mirror. went thru the hood and connected to the air box's 3" hole with a flexible 3" tuner hose. used a k&n style cone filter up by the windshield and threw a dry charger sock on it.

stil waiting on that ram snorkel top....coming from malaysia, 25$ vs 100$ seemed like they couldnt be too different in manufacturing a plastic thingamajig...but then again i hace been wrong very recently....

For every good intake setup, 5 or 6 were made prior that sucked the a$$ off a $3 hooker. Kinda gross but really that's how bad they are. It's not as easy to make a really great one as everyone seems to think.

fawr 04-16-2012 01:15 PM

yeah I've see that hummer style one before... I didn't take into account the high pressure zones on the car itself. AND, yes it does suck that I cut the hood already...it took me weeks of debating doing that cut too.... :/

I think I can do photos in my gallery...lemme see..

well i can do this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040004...eat=directlink

The time now is 09:14 PM.