Homemade snorkel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Homemade snorkel?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 01-19-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
domdan69

Homemade snorkel?

Has anyone ever seen any plans for a homemade snorkel?
Reason I'm asking is I could have sworn I passed a jeep with one tonight...it was dark and we passed eachother going opposite directions or I would have followed and asked. It looked homemade because the pipe didnt look like what Im used to seeing from ARB.
Does anyone have instillation instructions to an ARB snorkel for a yj? One could probably be fabbed if I saw how it was hooked up.
Thanks

93 YJ I6 4.0 custom welded aluminum front fender, herculined , 33" 12.50 15x8 BDS 2" suspension, M.O.R.E. Boomerang shackles, Teraflex disco's, Flattened and hacked out wells, electric fan to replace stock fan.WARNx8000i,high-lift jack,relocated mirrors
domdan69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2003, 10:22 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I think I'm gonna mess with a snorkel install in the summer. My plans are to modify a stock GM aircleaner housing (it fits my Pro Jection) by increasing the inlet snorkel size. I'll connect flexible 4" tubing to the fender junction. The actual snorkel will be made from 4" PVC Plastic Pipe from Lowe's. I've been eyeballing the pieces. They have the elbows, flexible connectors, clamps and everything. Should work pretty well. If I need to make any adjustments, I think I'll try the heating and bending/forming. Might even try heating the tubing in the oven so that I can smash it into a more oval shape so it doesn't stick out from the body so much... these are the kind of projects that cause me to lay awake in bed at night..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
domdan69

LOL..I know what you mean about laying in bed at night contemplating the possibilities of the jeep realm...even at the computer I sit and stare at nothing for long periods of time trying to figure out stuff in my head. Girlfriend hates this.
ANyway...heating the pvc? That makes it malleable? The roundness of the pvc was one of the things which concerned me about using it for a snorkel. Being able to oval it some would be awesome.
I found a site on an install of an ARB..and the principle is very simple. I guess you PAY for the niceness of the moulded tube. Other than that its cake. Id much rather make something than buy it..it just feels better-even when I end up paying just as much or more than the "brand" name.
93 YJ I6 4.0 custom welded aluminum front fender, herculined , 33" 12.50 15x8 BDS 2" suspension, M.O.R.E. Boomerang shackles, Teraflex disco's, Flattened and hacked out wells, electric fan to replace stock fan.WARNx8000i,high-lift jack,relocated mirrors
Unread 01-20-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
93jeepyj2.5

I think K9Jeep has a homemade snorkel.....PM him and ask him about it.

-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2003, 08:34 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Not sure about the heat.... but I'm gonna find out I have a spare oven in the garage that I plan on using for powder coating. Maybe I'll melt some plastic instead. Now that you've got me thinking hard about this, another option might be to fab one up from fiberglass. You could do the rough version with foam, coat it with glass to make the mold, spray with mold release and then lay up the snorkel. This would allow you to get the exact shape that you want. Maybe I'll mess with that route when the weather warms. Hmmm... another sleepless night

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2003, 09:15 PM   #6
domdan69

The head of the snorkel would be the next problem....the ARB one is designed to rid itself of any water it may intake due to rain or anything. somehow it displaces moisture before it enters the tube.

As for the tube, why does it have to be as rigid as pvc or glass? Couldnt it be semi rigid like the hose at the back of the airbox ? I've seen plenty of heavy semi-flexable hose in shapes other than round. Would need a couple more brackets on the body tub to hold it perhaps.

Whats the diameter of pipe needed? Perhaps large diameter exhaust pipe would work? Could be bent at an exhaust shop. It's about what? 2.5"? It would almost look like a drystack.
Unread 01-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy FallOut has a homemade snorkle on his XJ.

What he did was modify his air-box and hooked up some flex tube to reach his fender, then used a Volvo (I think) air-can (slightly modified) to allow the air to be sucked through the fender. He then sealed the air-can to the fender using old door-gasket from an S-10.

Any water that comes in sits on the bottom of the air-can .. and the air flows through the top - a 2" hole is cut there.

The snorkle itself is made from pieces of his ShopVac .. and the top is from a hardware store - an electrical intake for the roof of a house.

He boasts about 10 more horse running through his setup - not too bad for a 4-banger XJ, eh?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2003, 06:26 PM   #8
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

Yeah Yeah, I'll get some pics posted.

Some quick tips...

DO NOT use PVC. It's brittle and cracks easily with age, poor UV character. Ask anyone who does sprinkler maintenance. Use ABS or similar materials.

Snorkels are not made to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye, functionally it's there to deliver air. If you can make it more streamline and good looking, go ahead. But don't compromise functionallity for looks.

There are several methods for seperating water and air for an intake. I designed a cap for mine after doing a good allot of research and planning. It helps to know exactly where the intake will be, driving styles, and what weather conditions you have.

ARB is okay for Snorkels, but still a poor design for using a factory air box/system. It's best to get a water tight canister for the applciation. I replaced my entire system because of this, also to make room for a welder.

Just remember, a snorkel does not let you operate in any water depth, just provides some insurance that the engine will not destroy itself ingesting water.

I'll post some pictures soon to give you a few ideas.. imagestation seems to be down for the moment.

HTH
Unread 01-22-2003, 06:35 PM   #9
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by domdan69
As for the tube, why does it have to be as rigid as pvc or glass? Couldnt it be semi rigid like the hose at the back of the airbox ?
You need for a minimum of steel wrapped tubing, like 4" Dryer hose or HVAC exhaust duct. Anything less than flexable risk the chance of collapsing on itself. Mechanical engine drawing a vacuum is unforgiving. If for any reason the intake tube is accidently kinked, the engine will continue to draw air imploding the system.

Quote:
Originally posted by domdan69
Whats the diameter of pipe needed? Perhaps large diameter exhaust pipe would work? Could be bent at an exhaust shop. It's about what? 2.5"? It would almost look like a drystack.
Good rule of thumb is minimum the size of the exhaust. You can expand that out a little further to eliminate any back-pressure drop due to design. I'm running 2.5" and it's plenty for a 4cyl, at high speed it develops a ram air effect. Larger V-8 trucks use 3"-4" tubes.
Unread 01-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #10
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

Imagestation is up...
Canister is a heavy guage stainless steel can, similar to a piant can. Clips secure the filter directly on. Inside is a K&N cone filter which fit perfectly with the can, feeds into the intake. Heavy rubber elbow were used to allow engine movement/snorkel movement. The intake elbow was tapped and routed for crankcase vent.

ABS was used for tube and other elbows, it's very strong stuff, stong enough to have rolled on it and not show damage.

Rubber roofing flash was used to mask the fender hole. An Zip-stick zip-tie secures it to the windsheild. The top was built from a 4" end-cap, which was bolted with stainless steel wingnut to the 2.5" tube. Air deflecting off the windshield is forced into the cap, but still hangs off enough to avoid water intake.

Unread 01-22-2003, 08:52 PM   #11
domdan69

[QUOTE]Originally posted by K9JEEP
[B]

for Snorkels, but still a poor design for using a factory air box/system. It's best to get a water tight canister for the applciation. I replaced my entire system because of this,

Something like an ammo can with gasket, or one of those orange "dry boxes" they sell at boat stores?

Thanks for the info, and look forward to seeing pics of yours!
Unread 01-22-2003, 08:55 PM   #12
domdan69

Man!...just saw your pic after I posted...that is awesome! And I think it looks really good! I am definatelly keeping those pics for reference...hope you dont mind anyone stealing your idea for personal use!

PS: the rest of your rig is great looking too..love the stinger up front
Unread 01-22-2003, 11:08 PM   #13
Quan

ok k9... i want some more step by step on that bad boy! That looks sexy and doesnt seem like it would be very pricey. So get some free time and put down some steps... tell me where you got that can.. and where you got the 'ABS' (and inform this newb of what it is!) PLEASE!!!!!!!!

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2003, 07:57 AM   #14
macb

allright k9!!! I had been looking into the cowl intake from the
michigan jeepers website (home of the infamous hummer intake
as well) I need that air can!!! put down some parts sources/numbers
and we can all try an look as cool as you!

mommy, can I have one?

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2003, 10:49 AM   #15
dzp

Yes please give some specs on that. I am most interesed in the can. And I like the Hummer-like cowl also, but dont like the price.
[URL=http://www.dzpdrafting.com]DZP Drafting & Fabrication[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jeepet.com]Jeeps of East Texas Club[/URL]
[URL=http://www.tkff.com]Tyler Kung Fu & Fitness[/URL]
dzp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.