JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Homemade Security Storage Suggestions - Rear Cargo Compartment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/homemade-security-storage-suggestions-rear-cargo-compartment-1362667/)

TrailRated2011 04-29-2012 12:17 PM

Homemade Security Storage Suggestions - Rear Cargo Compartment

1 Attachment(s)
Hello:

I believe that my JK's rear cargo area (picture attached) is very vulnerable to theft.

It's a 2011 Wrangler 2dr with a soft top---and am really fearful that risk of theft is even greater when the top is down.

If I'm away from home and have to leave my vehicle unattended for even a short while with stuff in the rear cargo area, I worry that a thief could easily cut the plastic window and pull whatever they can easily get their hands on from the rear cargo area. I cannot always empty the vehicle of its contents whenever I have to leave it unattended. Typically I cover the contents with a grey/black blanket that matches the interior upholstery fabric (my logic is that if the contents are covered they will be, "Out of sight---Out of Mind" to a potential thief).

I suspect that most theft is opportunistic in nature---sometimes they are planned well in advance, but in most cases an opportunity presents itself to a potential thief when they see something of interest while passing by.

Aftermarket suppliers do offer various custom-made steel security storage vault solutions, but average cost (including installation is ~$350.00+.

Does anyone have any creative rear cargo security storage solutions that I could consider trying for my vehicle?

Mark

Attachment 389074

TrailRated2011 05-07-2012 02:18 AM

After looking at many alternatives, I decided to purchase:

Tuffy Security Products Tailgate Security Enclosure
For 11-12 Jeep Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
Quadratec Part No: 14036.0010
Manufacturer Part No: 282-01

TrailRated2011 05-17-2013 05:25 AM

16GA Steel Perforated Sheet Solution

2 Attachment(s)
Update:

Last year I purchased a Tuffy Security Products Tailgate Security Enclosure, Manufacturer Part No: 282-01. It provides great security for items of value when my soft top is down---I am very satisfied with it!

When it's full, I use the back seat for overflow storage. Traveling with suitcases or a day of off-roading (trail run supplies like straps, rubber boots, and other kit) with my Club.

With the soft top, when I stop for gas or a meal at a restaurant I worry about theft. I don't feel comfortable leaving my vehicle unattended.

Decided on a solution that I can live with. Went to Loucon Metal off Slack Rd. in Ottawa ON Canada. Purchased a 25" x 63" piece of "CR STL PERF SHT 16GA 1/2" DIA X 11/16" STAGGERED" and two 63" 50W STL ANGLE - BAR SIZE 1" x 1" x 1/4".

Dave at Capital Dodge in Kanata, ON Canada will assemble the three components and mount the assembly across the the tub of my JK over the rear seat.

He'll get some fasteners that allow me to secure n' lock the unit in place.

When I laid out the parts where I measured them to be---it was nice n' tight fitting.

Quite light too.

No carpet knife or tin snips are going to make it easy for a grab n' run thief.

Still no guarantees that I won't be robbed---but I can live with what I've got to secure my stuff on the back seat.

TrailRated2011 09-29-2013 09:43 AM

Snatch-n-Run Theft Deterrent Rear Seat Shelf and Storage Space

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailRated2011 (Post 15444367)
Update:

Last year I purchased a Tuffy Security Products Tailgate Security Enclosure, Manufacturer Part No: 282-01. It provides great security for items of value when my soft top is down---I am very satisfied with it!

When it's full, I use the back seat for overflow storage. Traveling with suitcases or a day of off-roading (trail run supplies like straps, rubber boots, and other kit) with my Club.

With the soft top, when I stop for gas or a meal at a restaurant I worry about theft. I don't feel comfortable leaving my vehicle unattended.

Decided on a solution that I can live with. Went to Loucon Metal off Slack Rd. in Ottawa ON Canada. Purchased a 25" x 63" piece of "CR STL PERF SHT 16GA 1/2" DIA X 11/16" STAGGERED" and two 63" 50W STL ANGLE - BAR SIZE 1" x 1" x 1/4".

Dave at Capital Dodge in Kanata, ON Canada will assemble the three components and mount the assembly across the the tub of my JK over the rear seat.

He'll get some fasteners that allow me to secure n' lock the unit in place.

When I laid out the parts where I measured them to be---it was nice n' tight fitting.

Quite light too.

No carpet knife or tin snips are going to make it easy for a grab n' run thief.

Still no guarantees that I won't be robbed---but I can live with what I've got to secure my stuff on the back seat.

I really like what the final product looks like, and its utility. Here’s some updated images (Dave’s install yesterday). The assembly was spray coated with flat black truck bed liner protectant.

Ottawa Fastener Supply has my order for “SPAENAUR Security Hex Socket Button Head Machine Screws”

Once I replace the regular bolts with the security head versions, it’ll add a bit more of a theft deterrent for a quick snatch n’ run.

The time now is 02:35 PM.