Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hitch locked w Masterlock [barbell] ?!?!

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  vfrpilot 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

PO neglected to giv me all necessary keys - so today's dilemma is presented to you all in hopes someone can help.

I wanted to pull out the male end from the receiver as it clanks around so much that it's Damm distracting :mad:

I've never seen one of these - it looks like a cylinder barbell with chrome ends. One end has MasterLock and the other a keyhole. Initially I was trying to unscrew each end until after unscrewing and unscrewing I put the headlamp on and saw it was a lock.
So, short of a blowtorch; how am I gonna get this Damm thing off:confused:

As always, thanks in advance !! Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

See less See more
#11 ·
I had this problem too... PO didnt give me the keys for the hitch lock...

Well i got my sawzal out....

I used the vicegrips to hold the lock as the barrel will try to spin as you cut. Took me about 10 min to cut thru the hitch cover and lock.

When you are done cutting DO NO GRAB the metal you have just cut with a bare hand, it WILL be HOT AS &^@*&@ :)

#15 ·
I have that lock, it's a 1/2" rod that comes with a 5/8" sleeve if needed. The sleeve is only as long as the 2" receiver box, so you would only need to cut through the 1/2". Mine has been out in weather for years and never not worked, I like it. It uses a simple 3/4" long conventional looking 'one side toothed' key that rotates 90°.

If cutting becomes problematic, I'd chalk up a locksmith visit to part of the vehicle purchase. You might be able to get a key there too.

#16 ·
For destructive: Sawzall or Dremel to cut the lock side. You could also take a high strength drill bit and bore the lock cylinder (hold on tight, it will grab and twist on you)

As said before, you obviously need to vice grip to prevent it spinning in place.

For less destructive: Locksmith or some lock picking classes? :p

#17 ·
Pull the hitch off and go at the pin with a sawzall... soup.

#19 ·
Hey guys,

PO neglected to giv me all necessary keys - so today's dilemma is presented to you all in hopes someone can help.

I wanted to pull out the male end from the receiver as it clanks around so much that it's Damm distracting :mad:

I've never seen one of these - it looks like a cylinder barbell with chrome ends. One end has MasterLock and the other a keyhole. Initially I was trying to unscrew each end until after unscrewing and unscrewing I put the headlamp on and saw it was a lock.
So, short of a blowtorch; how am I gonna get this Damm thing off:confused:

As always, thanks in advance !! View attachment 2372522
As one vfr pilot to another, please tell me that SOB is off by now lol. :D

#21 ·
MasterLock Cust sev = 2 week turnaround
Locksmith =$84
4 dollar blade = PRICELESS ?003f003f?003f003f?003f003f?003f003f

On a side note.. :rtft:This took me less than 5 minutes.. What kind of [MasterLock] security is that:confused:

Attachments

#24 ·
MasterLock Cust sev = 2 week turnaround
Locksmith =$84
4 dollar blade = PRICELESS ?003f003f?003f003f?003f003f?003f003f

On a side note.. :rtft:This took me less than 5 minutes.. What kind of [MasterLock] security is that:confused:
Somehow this never made it to you guys

Sent wirelessly using JeepForum App

#26 ·
Always good to have a 3/8" cobalt drill in your tool kit and a couple of metal cut off wheels for the die grinder. A cobalt bit will go through an expensive lock like it was plywood. I find my Sawzall hard to maneuver and the available blades less than effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.