hilift jack vs farm jack? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > hilift jack vs farm jack?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
jdub2k5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

hilift jack vs farm jack?

I found a highlift(offbrand) jack as ace hardware and was considering it

is the hi-lift brand the best jack?

I would like to find a kit that has the jack,recovery gear, base plate

Unread 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

stick with the Hi-Lift brand. made in the USA and it's actually more useful for things other than just a jack....don't expect to change tires with it, or even use it with the tires off the jeep for that matter. The base plate is a waste of money-all you need is a 3/4" scrap piece of plywood. The rest can be put together pretty easily, depending what you consider to be necessary recovery gear.

watch this:
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yxyvKdV2IEU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yxyvKdV2IEU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

and here:
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xldBPnzohtI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xldBPnzohtI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

More: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/o...niques-808434/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
jdub2k5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

why does the extreme cost more and rated less?

what size jack should I get?
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I my experience the Hi-Lift brand is easier to rebuild and obtain parts for than the HF "Farm Jack 48"

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

watch this too:
[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xsV2FJin_A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xsV2FJin_A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

The Xtreme costs more because it has fancy paint and attachments. It's rated for more, not less. A standard red or black Hi-Lift is fine too.

I've used my Hi-Lift three times. None of them were on the trail, nor did they have anything to do with a Jeep.
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
jdub2k5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the extreme says:

* Winch, clamp, or spread up to 5,000 lbs.

Hi-Lift Cast/Steel Jack

7000lb (3175.14kg) Tested Capacity.

so if I want the best the extreme is the way to go?
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

48" is pretty much the standard size most people have. Any bigger, and you'll run into issues with how to get mounted in/on your Jeep. If you want to compare quality and whatnot, Tractor Supply usually carries Hi-Lift as well as one or two no-name farm jacks.

edit: and yes, the Xtreme is.... extreme. That's the best one. Myself, I've got the mid-grade red one, and It's never failed me.

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the Xtreme is rated to winch, clamp or spread 5000lbs.
the all-cast red and cast/steel black are rated to clamp or spread 750lbs and winch 5000lbs.

http://www.hi-lift.com/media/pdfs/jack_instructions.pdf
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
jdub2k5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what is clamp/spread? I just went offroading for the second time and have only had my jeep a month

what jack/model is reccomended?
Unread 12-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2k5 View Post
what is clamp/spread? I just went offroading for the second time and have only had my jeep a month

what jack/model is reccomended?
they basically have only one jack...3 models on the same exact design. research the models and their features and construction, determine whats best for you. they are all the same basic thing. as stated above, for Jeeps a 48" length is best. 60" is better for full-size rigs.

clamping and spreading is useful for construction...stretching link fence, barb wire, holding beams together, etc. you can pull and set fence posts. i've even heard of multiple hi-lift's being used to aid in lifting, positioning and moving heavy manufacturing equipment (lathe, mill, etc). people use Hi-Lift's for all sorts of crazy stuff on the farm & ranch...little of which involves the actual jacking function.
Unread 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
jdub2k5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I checked out a knock off tsc store and got it... 70 out the door was not bad

the all cast 48 inch is what I went with
Unread 12-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
socaldaveh

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2k5 View Post
I found a highlift(offbrand) jack as ace hardware and was considering it

is the hi-lift brand the best jack?

I would like to find a kit that has the jack,recovery gear, base plate
I've owned the jack the ace sells, used it plenty, no issues. I've used hilift brand, exact same thing. The one from ace was pretty tight when I first got it, I drenched it in wd40 and it was great. Save the money, buy the 'farm' jack from ace.
You can read about jeeps all you want, but if you take a jeep that you don't love out on the trail, she'll shake you down just as sure as the the turning of the world. Love keeps her going when she ought to break down, tells you she's hurting before she dies. It's a jeep thing, you probably won't understand.
socaldaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

I've used my Hi-Lift three times. None of them were on the trail, nor did they have anything to do with a Jeep.

x2....great for fence posts!
SeanCucf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
markoast
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if you go the cheap route and buy the farm jack be sure to replace the ****ty grade 0 bolt they use to attach the base to the jack. I used mine on a trail, the jack was on a little bit of an incline and that bolt sheared, almost dropping my jeep on my face when the jack slipped out of the base. Mostly my fault for using it in not ideal conditions but still not good.
markoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

Yeah they work really good for removing dock poles or just regular 4x4 that have been buried as posts.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.