High lift Jack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > High lift Jack

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 11-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
Blaster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

High lift Jack

I got a good deal at a garage sale and picked up a aprox 20 year old very heavy high lift jack for $15 a new coat of paint and now I am ready to mount it. If you have any picks of how and were you mounted yours please post them I would like to see them before I mount mine in a bad spot or mount wrong.

The search was down or I would have used it Thanks.

Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
SomeGuysName
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I used Two 2-3/8" chainlink fence tension bands, 2 3 inch bolts, 2 teflon lock nuts, and 2 wing nuts and a few wshers. Bolted the tension bands to the roll bar behind the back seat above the seat belt housing using the teflon lock nuts and then used the wing nuts to hold the jack. I got the idea online somewhere but cant remember where. It looks like this:

http://www.someguysname.com/?p=4
SomeGuysName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster
I got a good deal at a garage sale and picked up a aprox 20 year old very heavy high lift jack for $15 a new coat of paint and now I am ready to mount it. If you have any picks of how and were you mounted yours please post them I would like to see them before I mount mine in a bad spot or mount wrong.

The search was down or I would have used it Thanks.
Here's how I did mine. Lockable as well.
jeep-040.jpg   jeep-041.jpg  
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
Jeeper4ever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuysName
I used Two 2-3/8" chainlink fence tension bands, 2 3 inch bolts, 2 teflon lock nuts, and 2 wing nuts and a few wshers. Bolted the tension bands to the roll bar behind the back seat above the seat belt housing using the teflon lock nuts and then used the wing nuts to hold the jack. I got the idea online somewhere but cant remember where. It looks like this:

http://www.someguysname.com/?p=4
I like how you mounted this because it is locked inside the jeep when the hard top is on but when you remove the hard top and the soft top is on doesn't this inhibbit the space used for the rolled down soft top. What do you do about that?
Jeeper4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
jeep_chinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper4ever
I like how you mounted this because it is locked inside the jeep when the hard top is on but when you remove the hard top and the soft top is on doesn't this inhibbit the space used for the rolled down soft top. What do you do about that?

it actually looks like he has itmounted close enough to the back of the seat to be out of the way of the softtop. and also looks like the back of the seat is being used as a way to keep it from rattleing like mad. nice setup..

btw is that an unlimited jeep? looks like a lot of room behind the back seat..

edit it is.. read his info on the bottem of the post.
jeep_chinto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
DrMani
Live to Cut

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Someone posted this for me earlier this month. I ended up mounting mine to the roll-bar.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...ack+lift+mount

I made mine a little different but it works great.

No autopsy, no foul.
DrMani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

mounted on the back of the roll bar. nice and sturdy. if i want to lock it, i can drill through the bolt and put a luggage lock on it.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
SomeGuysName
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dunno, I've never had the soft top on...I believe that yes it would keep it from going all the way down, but I could move it up some, I just didnt feel like removing my sound pods so that I could open the padding up to get it higher Like Dr Marneaus did. Mainly because I would have to take the hard top off to do it, so I figured I would do it when I switch tops. Some people just mount the bands on the outside of the padding, but I wanted a cleaner look so I will just wait until I change tops and do it then.
SomeGuysName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
stjjames
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mount it 6 feet under. The high Jack lift WILL kill you, noone has succesfully used one, they only cause pain & anguish - save yourself now. If you dont belive me ask Jerry

Best pic I got . . .

Unread 11-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_chinto
it actually looks like he has itmounted close enough to the back of the seat to be out of the way of the softtop. and also looks like the back of the seat is being used as a way to keep it from rattleing like mad. nice setup..

btw is that an unlimited jeep? looks like a lot of room behind the back seat..

edit it is.. read his info on the bottem of the post.
LOL I think he was refering to another post. My jack actually does not touch the seat. It is close, but no touchy. The side arms that hold it do shake a little, but not bad. The base of the jack does rattle some on the trail. I intend to remove it and stick some silicon in there to cushion it. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 11-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
Blaster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input it looks like inside is the prefered place I like the idea that it is out of site and can be locked pretty easy.

How many things have you used your high lift for ??? I have seen one used to get grandpa's tractor un stuck.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 05:20 PM   #12
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster
Thanks for all the input it looks like inside is the prefered place I like the idea that it is out of site and can be locked pretty easy.

How many things have you used your high lift for ??? I have seen one used to get grandpa's tractor un stuck.
My current "new" hilift has only been used so far to raise the Jeep at the bumpers. My "old" jack, which I retired a couple years ago, was used for just about everything. I used it as a winch, a bumper jack, a press, a tree puller, I even bent it almost in 2 jacking up a tractor once. They can be deadly dangerous if you don't know what you are doing with them. I have never had an accident with mine, but I am careful. I used my first jack from 1974 to 1998. I love the hilift, just respect it and it won't hurt you. There are a lot of people with missing teeth due to the handle. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 11-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #13
TJ Rat
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A highlift is very useful and a good tool, but you have to use your brain and operate it correctly. I've used mine to change flat tires on the 'trail', used it to jack the front end up so the winch would pull me over boulders, used it to jack the TJ up to get unstuck in the mud. It only gets used once or twice a year, but when I need it, it is very valuable. I would not go off roading without mine in the Jeep.

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional.
Mud is a Requirement Either Way!
TJ Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #14
Trouble Maker

1993 ZJ 

Over the years I have used my Hi lift to change tires, break tire beads, pull fence posts, clamp or spread things, get out of ruts, lift small buildings, hook up trailers, remove mangled sheet metal, used it as a winch, used the handle and/or beam for prying plus many other long forgotten uses.

I consider a hi lift to be one of the most versatile and most often abused and misused tools I have ever owned and consider it a must have in an off road vehicle.

93 ZJ Stolen and wrecked Mar29/08
Trouble Maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.