High-Lift Jack..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > High-Lift Jack.....

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 06-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
sd92110

1988 YJ Wrangler 

High-Lift Jack.....

Anyone ever purchase the High-Lift jack at Harbour Freight?
It seems to be the best deal for one I can find, I'm just affraid I'll be buying chinese crap and regret it.
It says its rated for a "tractor" 3500lbs.

Stop me before I buy this thing.

sd92110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Wintermute

1967 FSJ Gladiator 

That's simple. It's a harbor freight product...and it's a farm style jack. A hi-lift is dangerous if not properly handled. You add the possibility of weak or mis-manufactured components into that mix and you are asking for disaster. Disaster that has a very very high likelihood of resulting in serious bodily injury in an area away from immediate medical assistance. Why would you ever consider buying something like a farm jack from HF? I wouldn't. Ever seen a 500lb rated caster wheel crack in half while moving 300lbs? I hadn't until I saw an HF one do it. Ahh well, that's all the convincing I have in me. If you want to risk your *** to that thing, then go ahead and buy it. If you want something that'll keep your *** intact, then buy an actual Hi-Lift brand (I like the Xtreme ones personally).

--Wintermute
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Bought an Xtreme 485 the other day. Can't wait to use it!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Like Wintermute said, is it really worth the few $ you might save?

Hi-Lifts are usually the "how in the hell am I going to get out of this mess" tool.
I've used them. They can be dangerous. And even with a 4800 lb. rating, I don't even want to get near that much pressure on one.

Now, lets take the "farmers jack". 1k less capacity, made from questional material, with an unknown reputation.
Do you really want to trust that to get you home?
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
bonestock98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

As a HFT employee I've never seen one returned or heard anything bad about them, but I'd be hesitant to buy one myself. The reviews on the site are pretty okay but there aren't many of them so there could be quite a bit of confirmation bias at work. Anyone can feel free to pm me with any questions about products they are considering by the way.
bonestock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestock98 View Post
As a HFT employee I've never seen one returned...
Thatís because they were probably killed while using it and they canít return it.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the stuff I bought at Harbor Freight doesn't work or doesn't work as well as when I bought it. I don't buy from them anymore.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have two floor drill presses and a few die grinders among other things that I bought many years ago and use them in my work just about every day. They are still working great just like the day I brought them home. They do have their battle scars but that just goes to show their toughness.
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
CHEROKEE8
1999 WJ 

Ill start off by saying i prefer american made. Although, for the price on certain things, i have some hf stuff & have never been disappointed. A friend of mine has a hb high lift jack for his tj that we have used many times w/ zero problems. Got us out of some nasty places. I say if u have the money get the high lift brand, but if not go for it.
CHEROKEE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
EJM1985
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Harbor Freight jack (I wheel on a tight budget) and it hasn't given me any problems yet. I've only used it about a half dozen times, though. What I have used it for was pretty rough and it does require some attention before I wheel (fresh grease on the mechanism), but so far I've had no issues. I do prefer to buy American out of principle, though.

Others' mileage may vary.

JBLM Chapter of Military Jeepers - VP
Wheelin' With Warriors - Board of Directors
EJM1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
sd92110

1988 YJ Wrangler 

thanks!

Appreciate the feed back!
sd92110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Wintermute

1967 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I have two floor drill presses and a few die grinders among other things that I bought many years ago and use them in my work just about every day. They are still working great just like the day I brought them home. They do have their battle scars but that just goes to show their toughness.
hehe, I had a die grinder from HF...lasted exactly 20min...worst part was that when it failed part of the turbine on the inside actually pierced the outer casing.

I've never tried one of their drill presses but considering the quality of even much higher end brands these days (I've used a few friends Rigids, Craftsman, Delta, etc...) I doubt I'd be willing to put up with them over my 1940's Atlas model 74 presses and my 1947 Delta DP-220 drill press. All of three of those have a TIR of less than .0005

--Wintermute
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
IH8PEPL
Just like the plate says

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I live by the motto "You get what you pay for". If you want to save $20 bucks and get an unproven china Jack, go for it. You will more than likely need to replace it an buy a Highlift in the long run anyway. So that Cheapo china junk will end up costing you almost double in the end.

Same goes for damn near anything else you can buy. Do it right the first time.
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
hehe, I had a die grinder from HF...lasted exactly 20min...worst part was that when it failed part of the turbine on the inside actually pierced the outer casing.

I've never tried one of their drill presses but considering the quality of even much higher end brands these days (I've used a few friends Rigids, Craftsman, Delta, etc...) I doubt I'd be willing to put up with them over my 1940's Atlas model 74 presses and my 1947 Delta DP-220 drill press. All of three of those have a TIR of less than .0005

--Wintermute
Wow, thatís some scary and funny stuff; I can just hear it winding up and then all of a sudden bang . If that happened to me I would never get another one from HF for sure.
Yeah, the tolerances with the cheaper drill presses like mine leave something to be desired thatís for sure but they do get the job done when you canít afford the good stuff like me.

sd92110 you might want to also do a Google search for reviews on the HF high lifts and the originals.
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Wintermute

1967 FSJ Gladiator 

Yeah, that was an experience I never wanted in the first place and definitely don't want twice.

You should look on CL for some of the older drill presses. The 1940's deltas, craftsman, atlas, etc... are great machines. If you find one that's been well cared for you'll have a drill press that will last you the rest of your life and will drill a really straight and true hole. Overall they usually go for around $200 in good condition when you find them, although for something fully restored to original instead of just functional the prices go up quite a bit.

--Wintermute

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.