Hi-Lift Offroad Kit a must have? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Hi-Lift Offroad Kit a must have?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

Hi-Lift Offroad Kit a must have?

...if you don't have a winch? found one plus the base for a hi-lift jack all for $45, pretty much new.

i don't have a hi-lift yet, but i'm going to go pick it up, cause the base for the jack is about $35 alone.

anyone ever winch themselves out with one? their video of how its done looks like a long hard process, but i'm willing to to if no one is around to pull me out.

Unread 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is English your first or second language?

Regardless it is a good deal. You will get mixed reviews on them though. Some think they are worse than cancer and some people claim to have even made breakfast with them.

BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...0&oq=High+Lift
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
4x4Jeep
2001 WJ 

i only speak one language, why?
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
schultzie
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bill Burke shows how to winch with a HiLift without the offroad kit in his recovery DVD. He uses a synthetic winch extension line IIRC.

If you get the offroad kit, you will need a 25' 3/8" grade 7 U.S. MADE transportation chain with hooks. It is heavy and they are around $70 shipped IIRC.

I've used mine twice. Winching with a HiLift is neither quick nor easy, but it can be done. Here's the only one I took a picture of:

You will want a 60" HiLift and will wish they offered a longer one.
HEAVY (5080 lbs) '06 LJ (aka: Carla) - 33.0x10.5x15 BFG KM2's;Savvy 1.25" body lift, Savvy 1" motor mount lift, ZJ V8 front springs; Moog CC623 (Caprice wagon) rear springs; Daystar 1 1/2" front spacers; Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks; Currie front UCA's, LCA's, & Currie fr. track bar, Savvy Al rear UCA's, Currie rear LCA's; Savvy Al UA (tummy tuck), Lockrite D30 fr. locker, Mountain Garage NP231HD w/JB Conversions SYE, Tatton double cardan rear driveshaft, Novak shifter linkage; Savvy Al gas tank skid; Brooks Custom Concepts rock rails; Bestop HighRock front bumper (junk); Dirtworx rear bumper/swingout; Four X Doctor F&R diff. guards; Currie front LCA skids, Currie HD steering, Currie antirock fr. sway bar; Tuffy security drawer, Warn 8000 winch, and more than 200 lbs of tools and recovery gear.
schultzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

if your looking for an affordable way to recovery, might i recommend a used winch?

between this setup (which is a good deal) and the chains and straps and whatnot, your better off shopping for a which you can afford
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
schultzie
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'll add that, when I eventually get a winch, I'm keeping the HiLift set-up. Winching from the front is not always the best option, and is sometimes not even an option. Also, If you're really hung up on an underwater, hidded-by-loose-mud stump that has already bent a lower control arm, you will need the HiLift and a winch -- yes, I make getting stuck an art form.
HEAVY (5080 lbs) '06 LJ (aka: Carla) - 33.0x10.5x15 BFG KM2's;Savvy 1.25" body lift, Savvy 1" motor mount lift, ZJ V8 front springs; Moog CC623 (Caprice wagon) rear springs; Daystar 1 1/2" front spacers; Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks; Currie front UCA's, LCA's, & Currie fr. track bar, Savvy Al rear UCA's, Currie rear LCA's; Savvy Al UA (tummy tuck), Lockrite D30 fr. locker, Mountain Garage NP231HD w/JB Conversions SYE, Tatton double cardan rear driveshaft, Novak shifter linkage; Savvy Al gas tank skid; Brooks Custom Concepts rock rails; Bestop HighRock front bumper (junk); Dirtworx rear bumper/swingout; Four X Doctor F&R diff. guards; Currie front LCA skids, Currie HD steering, Currie antirock fr. sway bar; Tuffy security drawer, Warn 8000 winch, and more than 200 lbs of tools and recovery gear.
schultzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The Hi-Lift can be a great tool. Jacking, winching, stablizing, etc... My buddy was busted on Moab Rim last year. We had to rebuild his rear D35 right there. There was no other way to get out. We used two Hi-lifts, one bottle jack, and one scissor jack to stablize the Jeep the best we could and went to work.
Unread 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

wow that is scary
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Scary to say the least. We wedged enough rock under the front end to stabilize it, used one HL to lift the rear, one to support laterally, and the bottle and scissor under the spring perches for redundancy. When things break, you are in a bad spot almost by definition. You must fix it to get it out or in places like Moab Rim...pay for a helicopter lift?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.