JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Hi-Lift Jack slams to the floor (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/hi-lift-jack-slams-floor-1536208/)

burley 06-13-2013 06:17 PM

Hi-Lift Jack slams to the floor

(Dammit I meant Hi-Lift jack, not Hi-Jack.. Cant edit the title)

I just picked up a 48" Hi-Lift cast & steel jack for $64 new at Theisens. Love this thing.. aside from the fact that when I pull the reverse lever the runner dropped to the floor and almost took off a toe.

It seems like when there's tension the reverse ratcheting works fine, but when tension is lost (the weight of the jeep is resting on its tires) the jack drops to the floor.

Generally, the lever seems difficult to lock in and out during regular use, like one of the two pins doesn't want to go in.

Is this normal or should I exchange mine? Seems like terrible design.

tinktinkTJ 06-13-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burley (Post 15558580)
(Dammit I meant Hi-Lift jack, not Hi-Jack.. Cant edit the title)

It seems like when there's tension the reverse ratcheting works fine, but when tension is lost (the weight of the jeep is resting on its tires) the jack drops to the floor.

Generally, the lever seems difficult to lock in and out during regular use, like one of the two pins doesn't want to go in.

Is this normal or should I exchange mine? Seems like terrible design.

You know the jack comes with instructions that explains how it operates, right?

Yes the jack will drop once there is no weight on it, that's completely normal.

The lever will wear over a relatively short period of time. Until then, you can grease it to make it easier to engage and disengage.

burley 06-13-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinktinkTJ (Post 15558653)
You know the jack comes with instructions that explains how it operates, right?

I knew I was going to get that.. Mine was thrown away on accident. Looking for a PDF online now.

tinktinkTJ 06-13-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burley (Post 15558710)

I knew I was going to get that.. Mine was thrown away on accident.

:laugh: S*** happens, I can't tell you how many times I've lost instructions to things. Like I said everything you explained sounds completely normal.

Anticanman 06-13-2013 06:45 PM

That's pretty much how the jack works. If you're lowering a load, keep going til the weight is off and lift the handle to the storing position and it should drop. If it doesn't, pull up slightly and the pin will disengage and it'll be ready to go. I use one just about every day and they're still unpredictable at times. Spray lube keeps the favor on my side of the table.

burley 06-13-2013 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info! Sounds like you just have to be a little more careful with this jack. Love it so far, I pulled a few fence posts that have been eyes sores for years.

Anyone actually use the winch function to get unstuck? Might take all day, but I suppose it would work.

Anticanman 06-13-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burley (Post 15559020)
Thanks for the info! Sounds like you just have to be a little more careful with this jack. Love it so far, I pulled a few fence posts that have been eyes sores for years.

Anyone actually use the winch function to get unstuck? Might take all day, but I suppose it would work.

It takes forever and a day. Not because you only go in 48" increments but because once the slack is out of the lines you only move about a foot. A buddy of mine was being stupid on a snowy trail and decided to climb a hill and got high centered at the top. He was too high to tug down so I winched him up to a tree and instead of turning around he reversed back to being high centered and I did it again. Needless to say, I was the one to drive it down the hill.

zillla 06-13-2013 08:16 PM

If your sheep herders jack is like mine just carry it till ya really need it. Mine has the opposite problem. Usually won't go down, unless I spray some WD40 or pour some beer, pop, water or something on it to get it going.

the_weirdo 06-13-2013 11:24 PM

Hi-lift jacks...the most dangerous tool I have ever seen. I got rid of mine years ago. I cannot think if a single reason to use one - there are much better tools to bring. YMMV.

Jerry Bransford 06-15-2013 01:35 PM

I stopped carrying my Hi-Lift around ten years ago, it now sits in my shed. To me, it is just extra weight that as much as I offroad, never actually needed. Sure I used it twice out of curiosity but figured out it was just too seldom needed and usually more dangerous to use than alternative methods. Which is one reason such jacks that used to come in all cars no longer do. It certainly isn't needed for tire changing duties just because someone has a tall lift or even 35-37" tires.

underpowered 06-15-2013 01:46 PM

pretty much how it is supposed to work. I use mine on a regular basis, even around the house not just off road.

tip....carry a chain to limit axle drop out when changing a tire on the trail. if you have flexy suspension it can be a pain to change a flat with one.

auburnhunter 07-01-2013 10:36 PM

I use mine all the time, but I have never used it on my Jeep, lol. I find it is invaluable for pulling out metal fence posts, jacking up tractors, etc. I also used it all day once when laying down tongue and groove flooring in a house (use it to push the boards together to get a tight gap before nailing).......but never on my Jeep.

Before it was relegated to the back of my Cj-6 farm truck, it was previosly bolted to the front of my stock TJ bumper. I looked at it as "extra bumper".

The time now is 02:38 PM.