Hi lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Hi lift

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hi lift

Hey guys I am looking for a hi lift and don't want to spend much. My question is would anyone recommend this one? If not what would you buy for less than about 75 bucks? Thanks
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...k#.Tjc81yd5mc0

1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1murderedjeep
Hey guys I am looking for a hi lift and don't want to spend much. My question is would anyone recommend this one? If not what would you buy for less than about 75 bucks? Thanks
My recommendation . . . forget a hi lift and spend your money on safer, more practical mods.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I've got a Hi-Lift, had a couple of them over the years, they are invaluable tools, but I think the single worst thing you can use one for is to jack up a vehicle...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

My recommendation . . . forget a hi lift and spend your money on safer, more practical mods.
Don't think the stock jack will lift my truck any more it's to tall. Plus a hi lift seems more stable when on the trail doing a repair or trying to get unstuck.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Don't think the stock jack will lift my truck any more it's to tall. Plus a hi lift seems more stable when on the trail doing a repair or trying to get unstuck.
On my phone so can't see your profile but stock bottle jack works up to 35s. Hi lift is anything but stable. Can be dangerously unstable in fact. Situations where it is only way to get unstuck rare IMO.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet then I'm good only have 33s I just thought the bigger base on the hi lift was better. But I'm new to this kind of stuff and that why I ask before buying. Thanks guys
Unread 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sweet then I'm good only have 33s I just thought the bigger base on the hi lift was better. But I'm new to this kind of stuff and that why I ask before buying. Thanks guys
If you put the hi lift down under the axle where you put the bottle jack then maybe, maybe that would be sort of true. But with the height of the hi lift you end up having to jack from the frame or a bumper or a rocker and then you have to lift the whole suspension before axle lifts at all. End up having to lift everything so high that stability becomes a real issue. You don't want jeep falling off jack when you are working around it (assuming the handle doesn't brain you first).
Unread 08-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
But with the height of the hi lift you end up having to jack from the frame or a bumper or a rocker and then you have to lift the whole suspension before axle lifts at all. End up having to lift everything so high that stability becomes a real issue. You don't want jeep falling off jack when you are working around it (assuming the handle doesn't brain you first).
Hmmm I never had a problem jacking any of my Jeeps with my Hi-Lift. Mine had been stable while lifting from bumpers I usually wrap chain around the frame and axle so you don't have to lift as high and the suspension doesn't cycle as much. I've also had to use one as a winch. I recommend one it is a good tool but a dangerous one

If you plan on getting one please watch these videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/hiliftjacks
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1murderedjeep View Post
You could have a 10" lift and 35", really almost 37" tires. and your factory jack would still work just fine for tire changing duties.

Remember... you jack up the axle to lift the tire up off the ground and a 33" tire only raises the axle 1.5" higher than a factory size 30" tire. My factory jack works fine with my 35" tires and it actually has enough height left over to go the additional inch 37" tires would require.

My Hi-Lift has been relegated to a home for my backyard shed's resident black widow spider for years now. It's too heavy, I never needed it, and it's too dangerous to be considered anything but a tool of last resort. I'd never consider using one on the trail until all other options are exausted. In 15 years of wheeling, I've only used my Hi-Lift twice... once just to try it out and once to change an axle shaft which was a dangerous way to do it. I would have been safer and completed the job faster using my bottle jack.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Way back in olden times cars used to come from the factory with high lifts in their spare tire kit....they were called "bumper jacks", they went to bottle and screws because bumper jacks were dangerous.
billb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
It's too heavy, I never needed it, and it's too dangerous to be considered anything but a tool of last resort. I'd never consider using one on the trail until all other options are exausted. In 15 years of wheeling, I've only used my Hi-Lift twice... once just to try it out and once to change an axle shaft which was a dangerous way to do it. I would have been safer and completed the job faster using my bottle jack.
Agreed. Mine's been sitting in the garage for the last few years. in eight years of four-wheeling I've used mine exactly twice and really only seen others have to use them a handful of times. If anyone in your group is properly equipped with winches and recovery straps that should really be all you need in most situations.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have used a Hi lift a few times for recovery. A couple times in conjunction with my winch. One of the hardest recoveries I did was a Suzuki Samaria. We needed the Hi lift, a winch and lots of rocks.

Another use I had for my Hi Lift was to hold my rocker guards in place while I mounted them. Made that job very easy.

I really donít like to use it, but I like to have it just in case.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1murderedjeep View Post
LOL I'll answer your question I guess.

If you want a high lift, get a high lift. I'd stay away from the knock offs. A high lift is a great tool, don't let anyone tell you different. It can be dangerous if you allow yourself to be dummer than the jack. Be smart and it will be a great investment that can last for a long time. I am 59 years old and bought my first High Lift when I was 23 and I just got my second one 5 years ago. The $75 is well spent.

Tractor Supply sells them pretty cheap now and then. If you buy one online then look for a place with free or at least cheap shipping as they are heavy.

Don't expect the High Lift to be your only jack or the best jack to use all the time. On a relative level surface the bottle type jack is indeed the unit to use as it's faster. Add mud, sticker patches, loose rock and the High Lift, used properly, is a wonderful tool. Just be smarter than the jack. And keep it oiled.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I use my hi-lift quite often. Usually someone in my group(usually me) gets stuck on some rocks that they just can't get off of. I use the lift to help raise it off the rock so they can either drive off or get winched off without tearing things to shreds.

I use EXTREME caution while using it and the only person within the vicinity of it is the one person jacking it. Everytime I go up one notch I stand far back and wait to it to settle a little bit. Once I do get it to point I want it at for the recovery I move to the other side of the vehicle in case the jack wants to bomb and/or projectile.

It has served its purpose for me.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
unrealtrip
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow... FUD with regard to Hi-Lift jacks? LOLOL I step away from the online Jeep community for a couple years and everyone turns into a bunch of big babies.

Just get one, it will save your bacon many times over and they serve as many purposes as duct tape.

As for the one you linked, why not just get a real one for the same price? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a...8394&t_pl=9617
www.secretreality.com
unrealtrip is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.