Herculiner or U-Pol Raptor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Herculiner or U-Pol Raptor?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
HurleySS9
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Herculiner or U-Pol Raptor?

I'm going to apply a bed liner myself to my YJ. My question is: Herculiner or Raptor? Should I go with the roller/brush or spray gun? what's better ?? thanks

HurleySS9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
gmgreen
1983 CJ7 

I am in the same boat as you. From everything I have been reading I think I am going to go with the Raptor.
gmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am looking at doing this as well. I haven't personally used either one but I have done a ton of research. Seems the U-Pol is harder and more scratch resistant and is easier to clean. The Herc is more of a rubberized coating. I am looking at doing this this summer but don't have the area or the equipment to spray it on. Can you roll the U-pol on? One thing I have seen a few times is the tintable U-pol. YOu can get some factory paint and match the U-pol to your vehicles paint. I saw it on one writeup on another site and it looked amazing.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

The raptor looks better in the end, but will cost you a little more. I used the raptor on my lower doors and bumpers.

Looks pretty good IMO.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
yellowford
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What is this raptor that I have not heard of, I used the walmart bedliner it is ok but not the best stuff.
Unread 05-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
HurleySS9
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wow you did an amazing job and it looks F A N T A S T I C
Unread 05-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
HurleySS9
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You're right, I also read up on this and everyone says Raptor is a bit better, I'm not sure about using a roller with it as the kit comes with spray gun and all but i'm sure it could be done if you're more comfortable that way
Unread 05-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
HurleySS9
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgreen View Post
I am in the same boat as you. From everything I have been reading I think I am going to go with the Raptor.

yup I was thinking the same thing after doing a lot of research I'm favoring the raptor method so far...
Unread 05-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Raptor, these pics were taken a few days after I put it in. It still looks just as good a year later.

Unread 05-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
HurleySS9
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramble24 View Post
Raptor, these pics were taken a few days after I put it in. It still looks just as good a year later.

yeah I can only wish mine will end up looking like yours! thanks for the help!
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurleySS9 View Post
yeah I can only wish mine will end up looking like yours! thanks for the help!
It's really easy to do and make it nice, just takes a bit of patience. There are a few threads in the TJ section on the process. If you have any specific questions, these guys are more than happy to help out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-u-pol-raptor-documentary-lining-tub-580879/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/raptor-liner-done-709879/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/u-pol-raptor-black-spray-liner-installed-562641/
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
Dr.Dirty
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramble24 View Post
It's really easy to do and make it nice, just takes a bit of patience. There are a few threads in the TJ section on the process. If you have any specific questions, these guys are more than happy to help out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580879

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709879

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562641
im going to raptor mine real soon
Dr.Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
DoGood
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used the Hurculiner. I think it turned out great, it was cheap, and after I did my entire interior on my TJ with two coats, I have enough left over to do a third coat or touch up some spots if I need to in the future (not sure on the shelf life of the opened can though.) just my 2 cents..
DoGood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #14
Shellb2414
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoGood View Post
I used the Hurculiner. I think it turned out great, it was cheap, and after I did my entire interior on my TJ with two coats, I have enough left over to do a third coat or touch up some spots if I need to in the future (not sure on the shelf life of the opened can though.) just my 2 cents..
Im torn between the two. Leaning towards raptor because it says UV resistant and you have to buy seperate UV protectant for Herculiner. Did you do that? How long have you had yours in, wondering if its showing signs of fading?

Thanks!
Shellb2414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard of some people just hitting it with some black spray paint if any part starts to fade.

One thing that is pushing me towards the herc is this. From what I understand the herc comes in a gallon paint can and you apply it basically like paint. The U pol raptor is a 2 part mix though. Once you add the hardener there is no going back. Wouldn't this make touch up hard? I mean you couldn't just touch up a small area cuz once you add the hardener you either use the rest of the bottle or throw it away. Maybe I am missing something here but that is a factor for me.
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.