Help with steering and suspension please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Help with steering and suspension please!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
Sahara_Hemi

Help with steering and suspension please!

I put this under the jk section and got no responses so I'm gonna try here. last night I get to digging into a thread about straightening ur steering wheel and toe-in and alignment and camber. All that good stuff. So Me and a buddy get out today and are just messing around checking the stuff by the write up I read. First off I guess it's my fault for not checking the the jeep when I bought it. But my pitman arm nut(embarrassingly) was MAYBE 5 ft lbs. it's supposed to be like 185 ft lbs right? Second both steering stabilizers were very loose. Very loose. Third I noticed that none of the hardware on my skyjacker lift or any steering components had lock washers or lock tight or anything. Just ur basic nut. Surely it's supposed to be lock washers on all hardware. And can anyone tell me what type nut belongs on the pitman arm? The one on there doesn't look correct either. And does anyone have a torque chart or anything? Any input would be great. THANKS

Sahara_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap that's a lot of info request right there in one post!

Think of this forum as an encyclopedia with live help for when you can't find your answer. The key is to use the search function first....then if you still can't find your answer, then post a question. Just about EVERYTHING about our jeeps has been covered somewhere in here.
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Sahara_Hemi

I wast expecting one person to answer all that. I just figured I could give u all the info I had. And maybe between a few people giving me their opinion or something they learned from their own situation, I could get this thing figured out. I thought I was asking people who enjoyed talking about jeeps and jeep things. I assumed the second I asked a question I would basically be told to only ask a question as a last resort. Seems like any forum I've ever been on, when people ask questions they get this response. And it's not like I asked a stupid question like how to plug in a seat belt. I know if anyone on here asked a question I knew the a
Answer to I would just answer it to help them out. Thanks tho
Sahara_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm just trying to help you understand the forums a little better. We've all been there. I've asked questions before searching...got flamed, then learned to research as most answers are there. Then I'd ask questions that clarified my thought process or filled in a gap of missing info, etc. Yes, everyone loves talking shop about Jeeps but people do get irritated over the dead horse subjects like "how much lift" or "which shocks".

You just blasted a bunch of info that is easily searchable. For example, I don't own a JK but a VERY QUICK search on google showed your pitman arm nut needs to be torqued to 185 ft/lbs. That same site had an entire list of torque specs which was also one of your questions. According to google, that search took 0.24 seconds. I won't be a jerk and post the "here let me google that for you" link, but here is the link to your requested torque specs.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...orque-settings

I'm not familiar with Skyjacker, but I'm sure they probably use a nylon locking nut. Loc-tite would work too.

Hope this helps.
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...9/#post9961090
Looks to me like they are all posted here.
Why do you have two steering stabilzers?
Are you talking about the nut that goes to the steering box or the one that goes from your pitman arm to the drag link?
I am guessing that you did not put the lift on right?
Best thing would be to contact sky jacker, find out the torque values and if you should use lock tight or not.

Tags
pitman arm , stabilizer , steering , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.