Help Passing Smog in CA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Help Passing Smog in CA

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
cody11ca
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Help Passing Smog in CA

I have a 85' dodge ramcharger, and i have adjusted the carb, replaced the spark plugs, and catalytic converter. I am still in the dark as to how to get it to pass. Someone mention that racing fuel burns clean and if adding it to your fuel you can pass. Anyone know if this works? I have also tried the addatives from autozone etc, and it didnt work. Help.

The area in which i am failing is: HC(PPM) 169 rather than 127 at 15mph and at 25mph i got 118 while the max is 98. So the HC (ppm) is were i failed. I am also in Northern Cali

cody11ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 02:30 AM   #2
JoshBowers

Not sure about a Ramcharger, but with my BMW it would need to be driven before hand.

And not for a few minutes at 35 mph. 15+ Minutes at 65+ MPH... And it would need to be tested in less than 20 minutes.

Sure your head is ok?

But your in a very strict area right? I live farther north where they have easier regulations.
JoshBowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
cody11ca
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well what would racing fuel do if i added it?
cody11ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

my father inlaw had his 81 cj set at 24 degrees BTDC and a new EGR valve for smog testing. This might help you I don't know, I live in VA.
Unread 08-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #5
Sfisher
1984 CJ8 

I've heard different things about the octane deal.....not sure which one to believe. You definitely have to get your cat nice and hot though to have it operating at its peak efficiency. Also change your oil too. I've heard that if you have any wear in your rings that the HC's can end up in the oil and that you'll start burning those also when being tested.
Sfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.