Help: do I need a T-case drop? I like the clearance... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Help: do I need a T-case drop? I like the clearance...

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
aBoyAndHisCJ
1978 CJ7 

Help: do I need a T-case drop? I like the clearance...

About two months ago, I installed about 4.5 inches of suspension lift, and I took the CJ-7 out for a spin yesterday. It feels so buttery smooth, I'm really impressed with my work. No death wobble, no weird steering even though I'm going to put the drop pitman arm on regardless. Now I'm wondering if I need to install the 1-inch transfer case drop kit which I already have. If I can do without it, I willó I like the clearance. What do you guys think? Anybody run a CJ-7 with 4+ inches of lift and no T-case drop? Is it mandatory & standard practice to drop the T-case, or is it more variable depending on how your particular rig runs with the mods? Thanks.

Unread 09-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you aren't getting any driveline vibrations then leave the t-case drop out. The only thing it's used for is driveline vibes. Be happy you don't need it!
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

if you dont have any driveline vibes, by all means dont install the TC drop. any why are you installing the drop pitman arm? there is no need for it, unless you installed a drop track bar bracket on the axle side. you'll get some nasty bumpsteer if you dont keep your track bar lined up right.
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
aBoyAndHisCJ
1978 CJ7 

Well...my rationale was that the drop pitman arm would bring the steering components of the lifted CJ back close to the original geometry of everything right underneath the front bumper before I jacked it up. I was anticipating reduced steering quality. So no pitman arm drop unless I'm getting bumpsteer? I don't think CJs have track bars, let alone drop track bar brackets...
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumdaddy
if you dont have any driveline vibes, by all means dont install the TC drop. any why are you installing the drop pitman arm? there is no need for it, unless you installed a drop track bar bracket on the axle side. you'll get some nasty bumpsteer if you dont keep your track bar lined up right.
Are you giving TJ advice to somebody with a CJ?

Tags
cj7 , transfer case drop , u-joints

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.