Hawse vs. Roller Fairlead? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Hawse vs. Roller Fairlead?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 08-18-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hawse vs. Roller Fairlead?

Is the roller fairlead really that much better than the hawse fairlead?

I think I read an article in one of the four wheel'n magazines a few years ago where they were saying the roller fairleads aren't that much better than the hawse. The reason the article cited is that under a lot of load or if the rollers are old and have built up gunk in them the rollers stop turning and you esentially have a hawse fairlead anyways.

The reason I'm asking is I'm noticing a pretty significant cost difference in winches between the two fairleads. Something on the order of $40 - $65+. So, is the roller fairlead really worth the significant cost difference?

Unread 08-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hawse vs. Roller Fairlead?

I know this should be under "Offroad Performance" but since there is virtually no traffic there I thought I'd post in both locations.

Is the roller fairlead really that much better than the hawse fairlead?

I think I read an article in one of the four wheel'n magazines a few years ago where they were saying the roller fairleads aren't that much better than the hawse. The reason the article cited is that under a lot of load or if the rollers are old and have built up gunk in them the rollers stop turning and you esentially have a hawse fairlead anyways.

The reason I'm asking is I'm noticing a pretty significant cost difference in winches between the two fairleads. Something on the order of $40 - $65+. So, is the roller fairlead really worth the significant cost difference?

Thanks guys.
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
supertj4415

im pretty sure the reason hawse fairleads arent favored is becuz if winching at an angle, the cable rubs pretty hard against that square edge. even if a roller stops, it should be better off than a hawse cuz the roller has rounded edges...

....i think

FUTURE MODS:
44 front/9" rear w/ 4.88s and ARB

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/507150][SIZE=3]My Jeep Pics[/SIZE][/URL]

JEEPS won a war....your Honda mowed my lawn
supertj4415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

roller for steel cable...
hawse for synthetic rope...

the cable will usually tear up the hawse if it's plastic, or put nicks on an aluminum hawse which can cause spurs in the cable...the rope will hang in the corners of a roller and cause damage to a very expensive rope...

it's more of a reason why NOT to use a particular type, but it all ends up at the same decision...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
buckallred

Those synthetic ropes are pretty stupid, IMHO.

They cost several hundred dollars! You can get a cable at any hardware store for much less than that. You can spend a lot on a fancy-dancy cable, if you want to, but if you drive a Jeep, do you really need to ability to pull 20,000 pounds?

When I have used my winch, I doubt I used 500 lbs of towing, maybe 2,000 pounds max.

Unless you are trying to winch your jeep up a mountain, I guess. . .

Last edited by buckallred; 08-19-2004 at 05:26 PM..
buckallred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2004, 06:20 AM   #6
2muchfun

Thats not a humble opinion, but it is yours.
2muchfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #7
Kraw

I want a synthetic rope for 2 reasons:

1. Weight savings

2. Safety

doesn't sound "stupif" to me
Unread 08-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
buckallred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraw
I want a synthetic rope for 2 reasons:

1. Weight savings

2. Safety

doesn't sound "stupif" to me
Spend your $400 on a pink synthetic rope, then, and I'll pick up my steel cable for a fraction of that, with the leftover going to another project for my rig.

Weight savings, so you save like 30 pounds, if that? Makes perfect sense.

I am in awe of your typing skills. I am accepting resumes for a new secretarial position, if you are interested.
buckallred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2004, 06:10 PM   #9
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckallred
Spend your $400 on a pink synthetic rope, then, and I'll pick up my steel cable for a fraction of that, with the leftover going to another project for my rig.

Weight savings, so you save like 30 pounds, if that? Makes perfect sense.

I am in awe of your typing skills. I am accepting resumes for a new secretarial position, if you are interested.
$400?

How 'bout $187 for 100 ft of 3/8" (same measurements as my steel cable), rated at 20,400 lbs:

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm

weight is roughly 1/7 of the steel cable...but it wouldn't be an issue I'd use as a deciding point...

SAFETY is the real reason...a synthetic rope that snaps in half won't cut you in half if you're dumb enough to be in the way, and it won't injure an innocent bystander or launch a hook through your Jeep...

Plus, there are quite a few competitions and off-road parks that REQUIRE rope use now...

Greg
Unread 08-19-2004, 11:48 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unless you are trying to winch your jeep up a mountain, I guess. . .
So you find yourself in a position of having been asked to winch a friend up a steep trail or obstacle... up the side of a mountain... or perhaps you yourself slid off the trail and are now needing to winch yourself literally up a mountain. If you offroad, you're going to eventually find yourself in a position to use nearly the full rated capacity of your winch and its wire rope.

Minor pulls like you describe your winching experience as being limited to are common but if your winch is not prepared for the inevitable heavy pull as well, then it's simply not prepared for offroading.

And go try to find suitable rated wire rope suitable for a heavy-duty winch of a suitable capacity for a Jeep in "any" hardware store... then ask them if they can swage the fittings and properly install the thimble, etc. needed to install and use it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #11
2muchfun

Now who looks 'Stupif'?
Nothin' like a know it all who dont know it all...
2muchfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2004, 01:21 PM   #12
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads up on the synthetic rope, Bigwaylon. I'd seen that on the market before but the cost has turned me away. Most 100' lengths of rope sold I think are around $250. But the $187 price isn't too bad. I really like the concept of a lighter, better performing winch line.

I've been looking at Warn winches for two reasons: A) their reputation and B) they tend to be the lightest winches. I think the 8-9000 lb. rated Warn winches are 74 lb. vs. 86 - 94 lb. for other manufacturers. This may not seem like a big deal but every little bit of weight adds up (it's just that much more weight to get un-stuck). I like running a light vehicle, puts less stress on running gear and so forth, etc. Many benefits if you can keep the weight down.

Now, if you could shave 30 lb. off the weight of the winch by switching to synthetic rope and running a lighter winch your winch package would now weigh in at 45 lb. or so. Not bad. Many of us probably wouldn't have to add shims or spring spacers to get the front end up again, further off-setting the cost of the rope.

Heck, I was looking at utilizing the ACOS spacers when I eventually pick up my winch, but I can save the $200 and buy the synthetic rope instead. Then I'd get all the safety benefits of the rope and keep the front ride height reasonable. Hm, maybe even save a bit more by buying a winch without any cable at all (do they sell them that way?)

Again, thanks for the heads up. It's really got me re-thinking the whole winch system now.

One question for anyone: What about mud and other stuff regarding the synthetic rope? If your winch (and syn rope) gets splattered with mud you'll get small gritty particles into the rope weave. Over time won't those gritty particles start abraiding the rope? It sounds like rope is a great product, I'm just trying to get a handle on any ownership and useage issues there might be.
Unread 08-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #13
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

the ropes come with protective sleeves (RockStomper offers one 10ft piece, or two 5ft pieces)...that helps for some places...

otherwise, I'd probably just hose it off when I got home and keep it as clean as possible...

the price for the AmSteel Blue isn't too bad...but the Warn stuff is usually at least double that price...

Greg
Unread 08-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #14
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

synthetic winch rope is a worthwhile investment if you off road in areas where your winch is more than an ornament
i have just ordered mine.
it is all abvout safety. with the synthetic... it will fall to the ground if it breaks. cable? it can cut a man in half. do you like your spotter?
master pull has great prices on these synthetic ropes.

3/8"x100' for 155 bucks. is the life of your friend worth a couple hundred bucks?

as stated above, the hawse is recommended for synthetic lines.
www.masterpull.com

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2004, 12:27 PM   #15
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
matter of fact...I'll sell you my 100 ft of 3/8" steel cable for $100 if you want it...then, I'll go buy me some pink rope!!

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.