Have you ever used a tow bar to pull your jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Have you ever used a tow bar to pull your jeep?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
jbrown78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Have you ever used a tow bar to pull your jeep?

I understand a negative to doing this will be tire wear, but besides that do you have any opinions on using a tow bar? Have you ever used a tow bar, and if so, is there anything special you need to do to the jeep besides hooking the tow bar up and lights? I'm just looking for a quick fix to get my jeep to trails in town less than 30 miles one way; I will be borrowing a car hauler for long hauls.

78 CJ 7 v8-304. dana 30/20. tcase-dana20. 3spd manual. 31in tsl boggers

jbrown78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing wrong with flat towing. More rigs are dragged to the trails via flat towing than trailers. I probably have 20k flat towing miles on my YJ without a single issue. Just make sure the tow bar is properly mounted (used safety chains) and the drive line is set properly (TC in N, tranny in gear) and go.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

What he said. ^^^^ tow mine all the time
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Towed mine 1100 miles in one trip.... behind my fiver. No problems.

Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've flat towed my flat-fender across the country so many times I've lost count (Army moves) with no issues. In addition to what others have already said:

If your Jeep needs to have the key in and turned to unlock the steering wheel be sure and do that before towing your Jeep (so the wheels will turn).

Make sure you have a full-size matching spare for your Jeep. Driving with a mis-matched spare is one thing, towing with such is another.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

As with any towing, another 4,000 lbs behind your towing vehicle is not something to take lightly (no pun intended). Know your vehicles towing capability (pulling, stopping, controlling in wind, etc.). Think about auxiliary brakes in the TJ. Many tow without an extra braking system. I chose to get one (Brake Buddy).

On the other hand, a "4 wheel down" towed vehicle is about the easiest way to tow, as it adds nearly zero tongue weight. Do a little research, know what you’re getting into, and it works great.

A good source of info - http://rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac...s/forum/31.cfm

Cliff
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
abattani

I am trying to tow a 2001 jeep wrangler from San Diego to Houston behind a U-Haul. Its about 1500 miles. Anyone have the best way to do this and anything I should be sure to do prior to towing?
abattani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Eaallred
1962 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abattani View Post
I am trying to tow a 2001 jeep wrangler from San Diego to Houston behind a U-Haul. Its about 1500 miles. Anyone have the best way to do this and anything I should be sure to do prior to towing?
Everything above covers about all of it.

But remember one VERY important thing when towing with a tow-bar.

DO NOT BACK UP. You can't, so don't try or you'll mess something up. It really gets things binding.

I personally put my Transfercase and Transmission in neutral in my 62 when towing it.
Eaallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

it is ok, to tow from a stock bumper

i would assume that is how most people do it
i guess the "d" ring needs to be as close to the frame as possible?
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I tow mine with a Roadmaster frame mounts behind our motorhome. Most of it is removeable, except the two receiver like pieces that mount to the frame. The good: It lessens the need for a tall stinger on the tow vehicle for towing a lifted Jeep and it is very sturdy. The bad: They are kind of spendy, and they hang under the bumper. I have not bashed them yet, but it will happen. You can see the part that stays with the Jeep after you take all the towbar crap off of it.

TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
I tow mine with a Roadmaster frame mounts behind our motorhome. Most of it is removeable, except the two receiver like pieces that mount to the frame. The good: It lessens the need for a tall stinger on the tow vehicle for towing a lifted Jeep and it is very sturdy. The bad: They are kind of spendy, and they hang under the bumper. I have not bashed them yet, but it will happen. You can see the part that stays with the Jeep after you take all the towbar crap off of it.
I have the same setup. They are rock solid tow points. However, if I were to do it again, I would take the money I spent on the mounts, get an after market bumper, and have tabs welded on that matched the tow bar connect point (different tow bars require different connection tabs).

I wouldn't tow from the stock bumper. Too thin in my opinion (however, some do it).

http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...5&ppuser=75779
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #12
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so i gotta drill into the frame in the front to mount the hook up points

i can't imagine anyone uses the OEM bumper for towing
it is thin metal

Last edited by Contra; 03-28-2009 at 01:37 AM..
Contra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
coastiejohn
2012 JK Wrangler 

With my jeeps lift height even with a raised ball hitch the angle is terrible. have any info on mounting the towbar to the front axle?

[B]Semper Paratus![/B]

BT
NNNN
coastiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastiejohn View Post
With my jeeps lift height even with a raised ball hitch the angle is terrible. have any info on mounting the towbar to the front axle?
I have never heard of anyone flat towing from the front axle!It does not sound very safe.

As far as the raised hitch, a buddy of mine has a tall YJ with the towbar on the bumper. He has a crazy tall raised hitch to keep his towbar level. It looks goofy, but it works. He has not had any problems towing his behind his motorhome. I am not sure where he got it...not something you can find at Walmart! I think he had it made at a local hitch shop. The thing must be at least 18" tall! I think he needs to invest in a trailer.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not to the axle, but I have seen shackles that have tow bar mounts. Drop hitch?
It is important when flat towing that the tow bar is level.

I flat tow my YJ all the time. I have an Aussie in the front too. No problems at all. I only know it's back there when I turn a corner and look in the rear view mirror.
That said, I want a trailer for it. That way I can throw my kids' quads on the trailer, gas cans, fire wood, etc... But most importantly, if I break, I can get it home myself. And you need to be aware that if you need to back up, you can't without disconnecting the Jeep. It does not cooperate.
Also, when you flat tow, you are still racking up mileage on the odometer.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.