Have you ever burnt out on Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Have you ever burnt out on Jeep?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

View Poll Results: Have you ever burnt out on Jeeps?
Yes, but I came around again. 16 40.00%
Yes, I haven't touched it in months, no passion 2 5.00%
No, never 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have you ever burnt out on Jeep?

I think I'm burning out. It has been happening slowly over time. I noticed it most last night when I was changing out the gear oil in my TJ. I was thinking "There are about a thousand other things I'd rather be doing".

I'm getting really tired of wrenching on my rig to keep it running. I would rather spend that time wheeling, wheeling with friends, or spending time with my family. I have no desire to spend days on end wrenching in the garage anymore.

Has this ever happened to you?

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No but I have been fortunate enough for two things, for the most part a problem free Jeep and a second vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I have spent many hours turning wrenches on this thing. After all I have had it 8 years. There comes a time though when you need to take a break and just drive it. As for the second vehicle, it is nice in extreme weather to be able to have the AC/heater blowing rather than be in a YJ.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Yep! The joy is gone. This might be the last year that I even bother to license and insure it.
Its been a gradual thing but I even have parts that are unlikely to get used.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
joeaub
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No, I just got mine last month. Its all still new to me.

the BEST way to ruin your hobby is to turn it into your job. Once you have to do it, you no longer want to.

I did that.... working on cars fun, starting apprenticeship to become a mechanic... absolutely NO FUN when you HAVE TO do it..... Hobby no more fun. So i quit my apprenticeship and now I like it again (took a while though)
joeaub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
joeaub
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes you do get BORED with your vehicles though... I have a mustang, by the time the end of the summer rolls around I am bored with it. Time to park it for the winter... Come Spring its fun again
Unread 04-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
joeaub
2003 TJ Wrangler 

on a side note.. one of the BEST times to buy something is from someone who is BORED WITH IT. Prices are rock bottom as they just dont care anymore.
Unread 04-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The answer to this is not less Jeeps, it's MORE Jeeps.

I have a CJ, a YJ and a TJ.

I get bored and I just move on to another project on a different platform for awhile!

More Jeeps!
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think I just need to take a little bit of a break after this weekend's wheeling trip. Spend some more time with family, concentrate on my brewing, go camping, etc.

then go back to wheeling.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
I think I just need to take a little bit of a break after this weekend's wheeling trip. Spend some more time with family, concentrate on my brewing, go camping, etc.

then go back to wheeling.

If there is one belief I have, it is that balance is a much needed component of life.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

For me, it happened when the YJ *needed* to work.

I was spending massive amounts of time and money into it and stressing all the time when nothing worked.

We finally got a backup vehicle and I was able to relax and take the problems with the Jeep at my leisure. The burnt out left immediately.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Have owned the CJ3B for 39 years and my CJ5 for 41 years and still enjoy working on both.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Fully agree with the second car for normal driving and taking a break from building for a while to have fun with it. I find "pauses" in my build process where the CJ works just fine and I wheel it to its capabilities while I am gathering parts and planning the next step. Sometimes it sits for weeks while I spend time with the family or whatever. I just keep in mind that it is a "project" or a "hoby" and not something to stress over.
Unread 04-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
yjgrillin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely agree with the break time between building. Usually happens when I break something and have to save up for the replacement part. Right now its upgrading to an AX15, after the AX5 crapped out, I need to save up the 3000 for the transmission and all the swap components. Helps that I put nothing on credit cards and only pay cash. Makes for long breaks between projects. Lets me get into other projects, spend time doing other things I enjoy. Luckily, my girlfriends truck runs great and makes for good camping without the Jeep. Once the moneys saved up, I love the Jeep again.
yjgrillin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't reached burn-out yet. As long as I can spew a steady stream of profanity as I repair parts that break one after another, I think I'll manage. If the profanity stops effectively venting my frustrations, then I'll have a problem. My YJ is my only vehicle, thus my DD.

Either you spend time to wrench on it yourself, or you pay a premium to have somebody else turn the wrench for you and use your time for doing other stuff. Time is money.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't burnt out yet...I just started, and I am 49 years old! I've had Jeeps since 1993 but never, ever fixed anything on them myself until this past month. I've replaced rotors...CV boot...and today, a DL TRE. My WJ was in sad shape. Since my daughter drives it now, I feel it should be a safe-running vehicle. My to-do list this Summer includes struts/shocks on my wife's KJ (maybe a BB lift?), quick disco's and steering stablizer on the WJ, but nothing on the MK (not worth it!) Also, my wife will "let" me buy a TJ so I can play on it. I'll let you know in 5 years how I feel...
Rubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.