Has Anyone Tried Mastercrafts Nomad Seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Has Anyone Tried Mastercrafts Nomad Seats

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
HMFIC

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Has Anyone Tried Mastercrafts Nomad Seats

My drivers seat is shot and now both layers of seat covers are shot as well. I have been eyeballing the Mastercraft Nomad seat for awhile but I have not seen anyone's opinion after owning and using them.

Does anyone have these seats? If so, how comfortable are they?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/24233_3100.htm

nomad.jpg

HMFIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bump and sub. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for some good seats. 6'6 & 300lbs doesn't fit well in the stock seat
Leffnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ive got Mastercrafts -Not impressed. Ive got the Baja RS seats with adj headrest. When I lean my head back its about 7 or 8 inches until my head finds the headrest. I reckon they did that for people that wear helmets. My wife and I were rear ended and had terrible whip lash and I attribute the seats as the cause. My personal suggestion is to try the seats before you buy. They do sit about an inch higher and since they have a steel frame all around they wont wear out on entry and exiting of the seat.

Dropping $1500 on seats I expected better -im sure these are cheaper though.
MWV247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a set of the originals that I am halfway thru installing. They are much more comfy than the stockers. Originals and Nomads are similar with nomads having more cushion below you a**
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy bought these for his CJ. They look nice and are pretty comfy. On stock risers they are too high for tall or short people IMO. For me, my head it up in the roll bar, and shorter people will have a hard time reaching the pedals. I run susp. seats in my YJ and with a custom mount to get the height right they are excellent.

For the price the Nomads seem pretty good. No input on durability as he is still rebuilding the Jeep.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
HMFIC

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
My buddy bought these for his CJ. They look nice and are pretty comfy. On stock risers they are too high for tall or short people IMO. For me, my head it up in the roll bar, and shorter people will have a hard time reaching the pedals. I run susp. seats in my YJ and with a custom mount to get the height right they are excellent.

For the price the Nomads seem pretty good. No input on durability as he is still rebuilding the Jeep.
I am kinda tall at 6'3" so this is good info. What kind of custom mount did you do? I have a Mig, but wonder if it is safe to cut and weld brackets for seats.
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My corbeaus are mounted to the cage. Probably 3 or 4 inches lower than stock so I don't hit my head on the cage any more.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Fins
1980 CJ7 

I agree with MWV247. Check out how far back the head rests are. I can wear a cowboy hat while driving my Jeep with the Baja RS seats and it never touches. I too am concerned about whiplash in an accident.
Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
HMFIC

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have these?
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I went with Caribou xrs. Suspension seats are nice off road.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
I went with Caribou xrs. Suspension seats are nice off road.
How are those? Any problems or concerns with the placement of the headrests?
Leffnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

well the seat is made for 5 point harness's and that is how I have it.

leaning forward headrests you might want take outs from a new jeep.

once you are strapped in the head is more the angle of back seat if vertical. you wont get whip lash unless you have NO head rest. High backs are fine. whip lash is caused by the rear forces; your on a low back seat and hit from the rear. your back is stopped by the seat. But not your head it continues to stretch over the seat, whip lash.

but I am one of the few that think all these modern over thought out safety systems are not reliable. I have proof too, but digress.
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

I found this thread just after I bought these for my CJ. I am a weathered 40 yr old with a bad back living in the canyons near the central coast of California, my road is unimproved dirt/really bad asphalt for 20 minutes every day...These seats are awesome! Had Best top seats before, and they sucked a...lot. Iwould put these on a riding lawn mower if I owned one. To be specific, the back rest is firm, but the base, while also firm has a really nice cushiony flex to it when you hit high frequency bumps. The deep sides are just as hard to dis/engage you butt from as any other true bucket seat, and require a lil bit of technique getting in and out (might wear on the material on contact points there over time). They are very light weight also if that is a concern. mine bolted right up to the factory seat risers with no drilling. I ditched my stock sliders that were shot, and I like the seat height. I am 6' 2" and not slim....shorter people might need to move the mounting foreward, but should be simple with a rechargeable drill motor...

Last edited by Fletchlives85CJ; 10-25-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Fletchlives85CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.