HardTop Fiberglass repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > HardTop Fiberglass repair

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
ChadCielencki
2004 TJ Wrangler 

HardTop Fiberglass repair

How hard is it to repair a crack (5 to 6 inches) and hole in a hardtop???

Direction to any threads???

Unread 01-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like there should be a story with this. While I have not done any work on a hard top I have done lots of fiberglass work on my sailboat restoration and a hovercraft. Its pretty simple stuff. Just need to make sure everything is ready to go before you start. Run through every step in your head and make sure you have everything you need for it. I always used woven mat and found its pretty easy to work with, not sure what the hard tops are made of but if you match the same type of glass it will look better. Also I would go with epoxy resin over polyester, Little more expensive though. You will be doing multiple layers and you might want to drill a hole at the end of the crack to pervent it from spreading. I know thats the proper way to do it with steel when welding a crack and would think the same principles would apply to glass.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the same problem with my top I just bought.
bigredcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
ChadCielencki
2004 TJ Wrangler 

it's a damaged top for $250...a tree branch fell on it...
didn't know if it would be worth the time and/or money involved to fix it
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
AMLechner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would say definitely at that price. I could try to explain to you how to do it, but you'd be better off googling fiberglass repairs and read the many threads out there. Just learn as much as possible before jumping headfirst. Cracks are much easier to deal with than chunks taken out of one of the front corners like I had.

If its a thin crack, I found that the 'kitty hair' or fiberglass strand to work pretty well for me. Not sure if that's the best way to go at it but it was the easiest because the hardtop has inner and outer layer with space between it for the most part so it seemed difficult to build the layers with thin pieces of mat.

PM me if you have other questions, I'll help as much as I can.

Adam

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.