Harbor Freight Trailer with AT's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Harbor Freight Trailer with AT's?

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 12-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
Anti-bling

Harbor Freight Trailer with AT's?

Hey guys, im looking to buy a cheap trailer and build it up...for camping trips to carry kayaks, fishing gear, snowboards...etc. Is it possible to put some sort of large wheels and tires on this stock axle? It says its a 5 lug. Anyone done it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94564

[SIZE="4"]'04 Wrangler Sport: Khaki, D30/D44, 2.25" BB, JKS 1.25" BL, OME Coils, Fabtech style front bumper, Herculined tub, Hi-Lift, Jerry Can, HUNSAKER ENVY seats, Flowmaster 40, CAI, Performance TB, 33x12.5's, Defender basket with SRC soft top rack, Lite Dot, CJ Tailgate, Rear Stinger. [/SIZE]
Anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have that trailer and it works good for what it is. It folds up and that is nice, but it's a little flimsy for the same reason. I'm not sure about larger wheels.
Unread 12-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
bryans98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same trailer too. I have taken mine down some service roads that are pretty crappy but never even thought of putting AT tires on it. Could you? Maybe but you would have to modify the fenders for sure.
bryans98tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
plowe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In Oregon, Lowes sells decent trailers that will handle a fair size load for $500 Those fold up ones will fall apart on bumpy forest circus roads. They are just thin or stamped steel.
plowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Harbor Freight trailers are okay, and the five lug models will accept larger wheels and tires with fender relocation. Keep in mind they have metric bearings and seals that aren't usually available at your local RV or auto supply. The bolt together construction is fine for light duty use, but I would weld it up if you plan on washboard roads or rugged use.
For $50 more, you can get a nice welded construction American made tilt bed 4x6 trailer from Tractor Supply. It shares the Jeep/Ranger/trailer 5x4.5 bolt pattern, and with a quick spring-over it will fit small 15" tires like a champ. It also already has side rails and a floor in it for that price. All in all, I believe it to be a better camping and mild trail trailer than the HF or Northern Tool import jobs.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Anti-bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBA
Harbor Freight trailers are okay, and the five lug models will accept larger wheels and tires with fender relocation. Keep in mind they have metric bearings and seals that aren't usually available at your local RV or auto supply. The bolt together construction is fine for light duty use, but I would weld it up if you plan on washboard roads or rugged use.
For $50 more, you can get a nice welded construction American made tilt bed 4x6 trailer from Tractor Supply. It shares the Jeep/Ranger/trailer 5x4.5 bolt pattern, and with a quick spring-over it will fit small 15" tires like a champ. It also already has side rails and a floor in it for that price. All in all, I believe it to be a better camping and mild trail trailer than the HF or Northern Tool import jobs.
Thats the info i was looking for, where can i find a 5 lug wheel and AT's?
[SIZE="4"]'04 Wrangler Sport: Khaki, D30/D44, 2.25" BB, JKS 1.25" BL, OME Coils, Fabtech style front bumper, Herculined tub, Hi-Lift, Jerry Can, HUNSAKER ENVY seats, Flowmaster 40, CAI, Performance TB, 33x12.5's, Defender basket with SRC soft top rack, Lite Dot, CJ Tailgate, Rear Stinger. [/SIZE]
Anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I agree, if you don't need the fold up feature, go with something else.
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

whats the benefit of the AT tires, just less chance of a flat due to more rugged tread ?
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-bling
Thats the info i was looking for, where can i find a 5 lug wheel and AT's?
Well that depends on what you want to do.
For the most part, it is easiest to keep trailer wheels on a trailer. They are generally narrow enough to clear the side of the trailer and have neutral backspacing. Jeep and Ranger wheels often have too much backspacing to work without some effort. Northern Tool isn't a bad place to find a good selection of steel, aluminum, and galvanized trailer wheels. Scrounged automotive wheels are fine as long as they fit.

For tires, I would look around for some TJ OEM Goodyear Wrangler take-offs for cheap to free. The 205/75R15 should do the trick for you if you aren't lifting the trailer that much. While they are the suck for a Jeep, they are fine on a trailer.

If you can fit something taller, I really like these:

Bias ply tubeless tire that is 30" tall, 8" wide and has a max load of 2000 lbs each. They sort of look like what was on your Grampa's Jeep back in the fifties!

http://www.gearworksmfg.com/lighttru...ighttruck.html
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.