harbor freight trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > harbor freight trailer

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
willtjx

harbor freight trailer

anybody know if it is possible to get a utility trailer from harbor freight and then put on bigger tires? just a thought

will

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=2]Blue Jeep Club Member #94[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Patriot Blue 2002 Wrangler Model X
33x12.5 Pro-Comp Mud Terrains on 15x7 black steel rims
RE 3.5" SF kit
Flowmaster50
willtjx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
sceep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtjx
anybody know if it is possible to get a utility trailer from harbor freight and then put on bigger tires? just a thought

will

anythings possible.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtjx

will
Sure. you can put on bigger tires. You might need a lift kit for the trailer, however to fit the bigger tires, which are going to require a bigger wheel, which will probably require a bigger hub w/a different bolt pattern. You might need to change the bearings out to handle a bigger hub, you may even need to change an axle to fit the new bearings that you bought to handle a bigger spindle to handle a bigger hub to handle the bigger tires. Then you can cut the tongue off and reweld it in the correct position since the trailer is now higher than it used to be. Then you can sit back, drink a cold one and reflect that now you've got the same amount of time and money in it as you would if you had just gone down and bought a 5x8 or 5x10 with full-size tires, like you should have to begin with.
Just a thought.
I've been down that road: don't. It isn't worth the trouble.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
smokeybear
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I bought one of the HF 4x8 tilt trailers about 15 years ago. Put a 3/4" sheet of plywood down for a bed and built a couple different rack systems depending on if I'm hauling dirt, firewood, pellet fuel, riding lawnmower, camping gear, or a boat. Been beating and banging it around ever since. I did upgrade the 4.8x8 tires to a heavier weight range 5.8 x8 since it seemed the limiting factor for the 1000 lb load rating was the puny tires. It pulls real easy behind the Jeep. Haven't tried climbing boulders like some of the pictures in magazines, but I regularly use it on rough dirt/rock roads. Drug it through the mud once, but the trailer axle is about the same height the Jeep axles so no problem. Worst problem with the 8-foot bed is going over big humps or dips. I can get the back end to drag if I try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.