Harbor Freight Trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Harbor Freight Trailer

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Harbor Freight Trailer

Does anyone have one? It looks like a good base to build on for fairly cheap.
Here are the two.1090 Lb. Capacity 40-1/2" x 48" Mini Utility Trailer with 12" Four-Lug Wheels and Tires
800 Lb. Capacity 55" x 35" Box Trailer

Unread 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
MBRUBICON
2006 TJ Wrangler 

what r u going to use it for
78 Dj5
75 Cj5
MBRUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

camping gear. maybe firewood. hauling deer/bore/bear. I was thinking of lifting it
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
thatnameisinuse
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had one , besides it being a pita to put together it was cost effective and did a good job . i used 5/4 deck lumber for the deck and sanded and repainted it prior to use as the finish it just ok .

Hope this helps Pat
thatnameisinuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered one from Harbor Freight too (a little munchkin trailer). It was a black one that came with a metal floor instead of having to put plywood down; otherwise the dimentions are the same as the one the OP is considering. I made the wooden sides for it - cheap pine boards from Home Depot just stained and varnished (that took longer than putting the trailer together). All total with lumber, hardware, and spare tire I have about $450 in it. I also had to buy a drop-down hitch for it. I bought it for hauling camping gear and such to trailheads and campsites since storage space inside the Jeep is limited. I've been very pleased with it. I also bought it thinking if I wanted to drive the Jeep to MOAB (from WA state) it would be nice to have to carry camping gear/tools/etc.

When I get back from Iraq a buddy and I are going to do the Highway 101 loop around the Olympic (WA) penninsula in the Jeep towing the trailer with our gear.

This E-Trailer site http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Americana/AM3S030.html has some larger rims and tires (13" vs the 12" that come with the trailer) in the 4 on 4 bolt pattern. It's about 4" taller overall than the 12" rim with the 4.80 tires. They also have replacement hubs you can get in a 5 on 4.5" pattern (same as our TJs). I'm going to look into possibly changing out to a 5 on 4.5" hub after I determine if a larger wheel/tire combo (like a 15x6" black spoke with something like a 205/75/15" tire) would rub the frame or not. And I'd have to raise the fenders too if I did. Even with little trailers I'm trying to put larger tires on them.

In case someone's wondering about the little D-rings on the back of the trailer; I have a Harbor Freight towbar for the Jeep, and have the mounting brackets on the Jeep's front bumper. I ordered another set of brackets (they were only a couple bucks each) and mounted them on the rear of the trailer, and then put a couple small D-rings on the brackets. It matches the rear bumper on the Jeep. I was bored - and it looks cool (to me anyways). I also had to get gussets welded on my Jeep's rear bumper for the safety chains (it hadn't been done yet when these pictures were taken; neither was the Jeep wired for trailer lights at that time).
jeep_trailer_003-1-.jpg   jeep_trailer_005-1-.jpg   jeep_trailer_to-modify.jpg  
armyRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have one of HFT's trailers, it is one of their folding models so it can be stored without it being in the way. It is actually a pretty good little trailer.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 01:59 AM   #7
JK4Three
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've got the fold up 8'x4' version rated for 1k#. It is indespensible since I got rid of the p'up for the JK. Look for HF 20% off coupons, they accept them even on sale items.
JK4Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
bbzlc
1979 CJ7 

I have one. Cheap crap. On the 3rd use (hauling my kid's 50cc motorcycles), a weld on the bracket that held the fender let go, dropping the fender onto the tire. Inspecting the weld, no real penetration. I just don't have confidence in using HF trailers because of this. Hindsight, I'd spend more and get something better made.
bbzlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

On my little munchkin trailer (not the axle itself) there's nothing welded - it's all bolted together. My local welding shop offered to weld it up for me where the separate pieces of metal meet. Haven't felt the need to yet. I was suprised when I got it that the holes for the bolts are square, and they use carriage bolts (and locking nuts) to go together. The two square holes lined up with the carriage bolt "square part" through them both should help keep the metal parts from squirming around. I thought that was a neat idea. 99% of the time the trailer is parked in the garage.
Unread 09-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a write-up on a HF folding trailer.

It's a good read.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...review-463480/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Looks like I will be investing in one next month
Unread 07-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Moose31
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I've followed the HF threads for a while and spent the last few months designing, and pulling together the parts I needed to build one of these trailers. My goal was to build a nice jeep trailer for less than $1k and have something light and easy to tow. Too many of the trailer builds out there are overbuilt and way too heavy. I started with a 10 year old "black" trailer (old Harbour Freight) and rebuilt from scratch using parts I found on Craig's List and the internet. I purchased the box kit from DEI equipment, who unfortunately last month discontinued selling them. I upgraded the center steel tongue on the frame, reinforced the body and fenders with super struts and added new axel, wheels and tires. I considered a solid top and rooftop tent but since it would blow my budget I decided against it. Plus I have no idea how I would fit my lab up there with the wife and I.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and have gotten many good comments on it. It tows easily, seems very sturdy and does everything I wanted it to do. The only thing I want to change is adding a reticulating hitch for extreme off road conditions.
img_9530.jpg   img_9533.jpg  
Moose31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose31 View Post
I've followed the HF threads for a while and spent the last few months designing, and pulling together the parts I needed to build one of these trailers. My goal was to build a nice jeep trailer for less than $1k and have something light and easy to tow. Too many of the trailer builds out there are overbuilt and way too heavy. I started with a 10 year old "black" trailer (old Harbour Freight) and rebuilt from scratch using parts I found on Craig's List and the internet. I purchased the box kit from DEI equipment, who unfortunately last month discontinued selling them. I upgraded the center steel tongue on the frame, reinforced the body and fenders with super struts and added new axel, wheels and tires. I considered a solid top and rooftop tent but since it would blow my budget I decided against it. Plus I have no idea how I would fit my lab up there with the wife and I.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and have gotten many good comments on it. It tows easily, seems very sturdy and does everything I wanted it to do. The only thing I want to change is adding a reticulating hitch for extreme off road conditions.
realnice unit.

My only input is to recommend a trailer wide enough... ie 5' wide to be visible in both mirrors... makes backing up much easier.
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Clodhopper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice trailer

That is one very nice trailer Moose 31!
Clodhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
realnice unit.

My only input is to recommend a trailer wide enough... ie 5' wide to be visible in both mirrors... makes backing up much easier.
The tub on this little black trailer is 40" wide; the same width as the old military trailers from WWII (and a lot of the current aftermarket off-road type trailers). It's just the right width for taking off-road.

Trailer build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.