Got stuck today...mall crawling - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Got stuck today...mall crawling

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #31
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikPeterson View Post
Thought it might have something to do with that but, never really looked into lockers. Would you suggest those as a first upgrade? Or lift first? Also I'm not sure if I mentioned the FD is adjacent to my school lot, I didnt go out of my way to ask them.also what are your guys views on people mall crawling on the parking lot, grass medians, and loading ramps and stuff if even my little stunt was abismal. Incorrect spelling I know.
I like rock crawling and trail riding so it's not my cup of tea, IMO it's pointless. But to each their own.

You can use the brakes as a sort of "make-shift locker" by pressing on the brake pedal a little if the fronts are spinning or using the e-brake if the rear is spinning. As for which one to go for first depends on the type of wheeling you do and your style and skill level. A lift will help clear obstacles better, but doesn't necessarily mean more capability, where as lockers can help increase traction and may help in certain situations, IMO the capability comes from the driver as well as the rig.

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #32
Gofaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
With in that post, it is discussed how you can apply your breaks to help get you unstuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The more resistance the engine sees, the more torque it can produce. In a low-resistance situation like when you're in ice, the engine can only put so much torque out to the driving wheels before they slip, which creates the upper limit of torque it can produce.

Stepping on the brakes in that situation increases the amount of resistance the engine works into, thus it can produce more torque which can be used by the tire that has more traction. Remember, the tire with the least amount of traction is the limiting factor so stepping on the brakes makes the engine think it has more traction (it feels the added resistance from your braking action) which can often provide enough additional torque to the side with better traction to get you moving again.

So step on the brakes fairly firmly as you give it gas at the same time, it's a balance thing that can only be learned by a little practice. When one tire is spinning, step on the brakes (or pull the parking brake lever up a few clicks if it's a rear tire) to eliminate the ineffective tire spin and give it some gas. If conditions are not too bad and you've done it right, odds are you'll start moving.

This age-old technique has been around since the Model-T days, too bad it's a lost art for most drivers today.
Gofaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #33
goofball
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikPeterson View Post
also what are your guys views on people mall crawling on the parking lot, grass medians, and loading ramps and stuff.
these are all public or private places that are not meant for 4-wheelers to be playing on. And yes even the few ones who do mess around on these areas really do screw up other places that are meant to be wheeled on.
You need to go join a jeep club and learn what 4-wheelin is all about.
I understand your 16 and since you already know you want to become a cop start growing up.. Yea there are places to wheel so find out where they are and learn how the right way.
good luck to ya..
goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #34
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofaster View Post
With in that post, it is discussed how you can apply your breaks to help get you unstuck.
It discusses more than that. This method works very well in some vehicles, jeep isn't one of them but it may help. In the military hummer it works very well. In my 4Runner it works very well. It actually it does it for you, not real thrilled about that. I have ARBs now (in my jeep) and using the brake helps very little with them when left opena and when locked there is no need to use the brakes to help with traction.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #35
Gofaster

Quote:
It discusses more than that.
Was that a needed post? This one is not but give it a break.
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #36
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you wanna be a ****** then yours wasn't needed either seeing how I already stated that, but anything coming from Jerry holds more credibility than me since I learn from him .

He was just pointing out that there is a lot more usable and applicable to situation info. It also helps to know the theory and physics behind what a locker does and Ross was most likely implying that the whole post should be read.

Quote:
It discusses more than that. This method works very well in some vehicles, jeep isn't one of them but it may help. In the military hummer it works very well. In my 4Runner it works very well. It actually it does it for you, not real thrilled about that. I have ARBs now (in my jeep) and using the brake helps very little with them when left opena and when locked there is no need to use the brakes to help with traction.
I don't know about you but the brake method works FWIW in my TJ, it took me a bit to figure out the ratios between how much brake and gas to use but it does help. Granted it won't be equal to or really near a locker (more like a LS IMO).
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #37
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yes, it discusses more. You quoted only a portion of the post.

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #38
Gofaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross00TJ View Post
If you wanna be a ****** then yours wasn't needed either seeing how I already stated that, but anything coming from Jerry holds more credibility than me since I learn from him .

He was just pointing out that there is a lot more usable and applicable to situation info. It also helps to know the theory and physics behind what a locker does and Ross was most likely implying that the whole post should be read.
My post was after his because I was looking up the part that talked about using your breaks. I had read this thread before and knew it was in there.

My original quote was of him just saying there is more. My post only said with in there, they talk about using your breaks. It didn't imply it was the only thing.

So why don't you chill out.
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #39
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I don't know about you but the brake method works FWIW in my TJ, it took me a bit to figure out the ratios between how much brake and gas to use but it does help. Granted it won't be equal to or really near a locker (more like a LS IMO).
If you ever get a chance to drive a vehicle with a Torsen diff you will quickly feel the difference, it is night and day to the diff in a wrangler.

I have probably driven more miles off road in a military hummer than my jeep. The jeep is better suited for the type of wheeling that many here do. But I bet if we had the same diffs that some (maybe all) 4Runners and older hummers have there would be less people changing out jeep diffs. A locked diff will work even better.

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #40
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it not all about you.

Unread 02-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #41
Gofaster

Quote:
WHY THE HELL DID YOU THINK THE FIRE DEPARTMENT SHOULD BE AT YOUR BECK AND CALL LIKE THAT. You are a moron !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you learn some common since or fail out. I can't imagine you in a patrol car, I have jeep let me drive like a dumb *** in a parking lot. I have a cop car, if I turn on the lights and siren I can run stop lights.

Is this a joke or are you really this stupid?
Quote:
Why owning a Jeep does not necessarily make anyone a Jeeper. I feel bad for that poor YJ, I hope you sell it to a real Jeeper and go buy an H2 or something.
Quote:
it not all about you.
yeah, you modified your post. I quoted what you had posted, you added those other lines. Then you become the nice guy and give advice. Are you bi-polar?
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #42
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you ever get a chance to drive a vehicle with a Torsen diff you will quickly feel the difference, it is night and day to the diff in a wrangler.

I have probably driven more miles off road in a military hummer than my jeep. The jeep is better suited for the type of wheeling that many here do. But I bet if we had the same diffs that some (maybe all) 4Runners and older hummers have there would be less people changing out jeep diffs. A locked diff will work even better.
I've driven HMMWV's when I was in the Navy (I was IA with the Army), it is definitely much different than using the same technique on a Wrangler but that's why I wouldn't really say its a substitute for a locker in a Wrangler but more of a LS.
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #43
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yeah, you modified your post. I quoted what you had posted, you added those other lines. Then you become the nice guy and give advice. Are you bi-polar?
You strike me as one of those people who take great joy from internet arguements and feel the need to start them. After the whole situation was explained better and the OP had realized his errors, then he asked for advice, which we gave because that is what the Jeep community does.

You need to just relax and not take things personally, it doesn't really matter.

My two cents.
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #44
Gofaster

Quote:
You strike me as one of those people who take great joy from internet arguements and feel the need to start them. After the whole situation was explained better and the OP had realized his errors, then he asked for advice, which we gave because that is what the Jeep community does.

You need to just relax and not take things personally, it doesn't really matter.

My two cents.
My two cents, is I like the original post. It is a story a lot of people can relate to and even remember doing it themselves or being their when someone else tried it.

The original post made me smile and laugh. Thank you Erik!
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #45
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've driven HMMWV's when I was in the Navy (I was IA with the Army), it is definitely much different than using the same technique on a Wrangler but that's why I wouldn't really say its a substitute for a locker in a Wrangler but more of a LS.

It is not a substitute for a locker, but maybe the next best thing. Open diffs can help from using the brakes but it is only kind of fooling the diff. With a Torsen or other limited slip it goes to work as soon as it slipping starts, using the breaks does even more.
Torsen uses gears, seems to hook up faster and get better traction. Trac lok in jeeps uses clutches. Clutches wear and become less and less effective until they just stop working all together.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.