Got a free winch.....that doesn't work. need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Got a free winch.....that doesn't work. need help!

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got a free winch.....that doesn't work. need help!

So today I scored a free Smittybuilt XRC8 and winch plate for my jeep. But it does not work. When you try to winch it in, it sounds like the winch is working, but it does not pull in the line. It will free-spool but not winch in or out.
Is this a problem that can be fixed? I believe that it has the warranty from Smittybuilt but if it doesn't, I want to have a back up plan to make this thing work. The winch has been used less than 10 times and never abused.
Any advice/ideas?

Thanks
Tim

Unread 08-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

It sounds like the solenoids in the control box are shot, Smittybuilt might have a rebuild kit for a good price.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

atleast you arent out much money lol, so the between the winch and therebuild kit it shouldnt be too bad of an investment

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thats exactly why I took it, I figure if i have to spend a little bit of money to fix it its still better than buying a new one. Ill have to call Smittybuilt on monday and ask them what my options
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

IF it sounds like its working its not the solenoids and probably the clutch. Does it freespool while you try and winch in?
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure, hopefully going to do some testing before I have to go into work today. If it does free spool when winching, what does that mean?
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If the motor runs in both directions but the hub doesn't turn, it sounds like the clutch mechanism or planetary gearset is bad, not the solenoids. If it was a solenoid(s) causing the problem, the motor wouldn't run.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Assuming that I can get the parts to fix it, how difficult do you think it would be to replace them? Since the motor does turn I'm thinking that Jerry is right and that my clutch could be shot. Is this something that can be replaced or does it mean the winch is useless?
Unread 08-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

While it's very easy to replace solenoids, I'm not so sure about anything mechanical on that particular winch. A call to Smittybilt's customer service dept. is in order.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
KJFactor
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just start taking it apart. Have an exploded diagram view and go to town. Go to the website and download a diagram. I got a free Superwinch and pretty much did the same thing. Spent a couple hours for 2 days lubricating and cleaning the winch. I learned a lot by just taking things apart. Other than that Xtreme 4x4 did a transmission and WINCH full rebuild episode this weekend. Have fun.
KJFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Last December I blew the clutch after using it only 4 times. It did the exact same thing as you describe. I still had the warranty and they came and picked it up and gave me a new one. Haven't had any problems with this one yet. But what do you expect for a $300 china built winch? (In your case free )
ET48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
surfsup887
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yeah there was a full winch rebuild on xtreme 4x4 this morning. take a look and see wha he did. from what he described, it sounds like the solenoids
Built Not Bought #133
Looking for a 33 in R16 tire any condition in MA or RI
surfsup887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
KJFactor
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsup887 View Post
yeah there was a full winch rebuild on xtreme 4x4 this morning. take a look and see wha he did. from what he described, it sounds like the solenoids
From what the OP said it would sound like it's winching in but wouldn't move. So I would agree with JGORM that it is not the Solenoids. If it was the solenoids their would be no noise as if it's trying to winch in. (No electricity getting to the motor)
KJFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Most of the winch motors I've pulled out used a "woodruff" key to secure the drive gear on the end of the motor shaft. Maybe that sheared? As mentioned, I'd print out an exploded view diagram, and carefully start taking it apart until I found out what happened...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think my first move is going to be calling Smittybilt and seeing what they say. I don't want to tear into the winch and then have them tell me I voided the warranty. Im thinking it is the clutch so when I call them Im going to see about getting new parts, and hopefully Ill have a working winch within a week or two.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.