got a dash-computer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > got a dash-computer?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

got a dash-computer?

what kind of computer do you use for your setup?
What programs do you use for GPS, axel cams, gauges, etc?

Got any Pics?

I was thinking an Alienware M11x 11.6" laptop would be perfect for this sort of application. Thoughts?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/broke-students-jeep-build-1264853/"]YJ BUILD THREAD/[/URL]
branjmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

I'm a pretty hardcore computer guy, and I had all the components picked out and was ready start an install, when I changed direction at the last minute. I bought an Android tablet instead. There isn't much it can't do compared to a car pc, but it's cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain, and simpler overall. Not to mention that it can be easily removed to prevent theft. I'd definitely explore that option if I were you. No matter which direction you go, you'll want the highest quality and brightest screen you can find with either a matte finish, or matte screen protector. With the amount of direct and indirect sunlight in a Jeep, you'd never read it otherwise.
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

There's a Droid app called Torque. It interfaces via Bluetooth with a OBD2 reader and provides pretty much any parameter you'll ever want.

Do tablets have Bluetooth?
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
I'm a pretty hardcore computer guy, and I had all the components picked out and was ready start an install, when I changed direction at the last minute. I bought an Android tablet instead. There isn't much it can't do compared to a car pc, but it's cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain, and simpler overall. Not to mention that it can be easily removed to prevent theft. I'd definitely explore that option if I were you. No matter which direction you go, you'll want the highest quality and brightest screen you can find with either a matte finish, or matte screen protector. With the amount of direct and indirect sunlight in a Jeep, you'd never read it otherwise.
interesting idea. is there a special plugin for the app you use, or all the stats determined by gps and accellerometer? Just for kicks I'd love to have all the temp readouts, engine codes... I saw a computer program called HKS Camp2...

thanks for the help! I was surprised to get any responses NOT trying to convince me not to bother!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/broke-students-jeep-build-1264853/"]YJ BUILD THREAD/[/URL]
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
branjmb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
There's a Droid app called Torque. It interfaces via Bluetooth with a OBD2 reader and provides pretty much any parameter you'll ever want.

Do tablets have Bluetooth?
tablets do have bluetooth-- most do i should say-- i'm an apple geek, all i know is apple. Unfortunately Torque won't work with my 92 yj, but definitely looks like an awesome app.
thanks!!

Unread 11-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by branjmb

tablets do have bluetooth-- most do i should say-- i'm an apple geek, all i know is apple. Unfortunately Torque won't work with my 92 yj, but definitely looks like an awesome app.
thanks!!
Didn't catch the YJ part. In that case, there's another compass app for Android (probably an equivalent for ipads). The GPS in my HTC Incredible works better than my Garmin. (GPS & the screen drain the battery faster than it will charge though). It will display/record just about anything a real GPS will.

I also have a 'my tracks' app that acts like super bread crumbs. You can also save them and upload to the internet and view it on Google maps.
I've thought about using it to make digital maps of the trails I go on. For other people's benefit, and a log of my adventures.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.