Good idea or a disaster waiting to happen - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Good idea or a disaster waiting to happen

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good idea or a disaster waiting to happen

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92011_12_07.htm

I live in Norfolk, Va, high crime area. I've found my windows unzipped on several occasions. Last time my stereo was ripped out of the dash (good thing they didn't see the amp under my seat). And this is at ODU, with patrolling campus police.

Now to my question: is the above linked product an O.K. option for winch mounting? I don't own a winch yet, but I will this summer. I don't want it being stolen off my bumper when its just sitting in the parking lot at night. I'm getting a Jeeperman bumper with a front receiver so that part of the issue is taken care of. I'm just wondering if the product and/or receiver can hold up to the stresses of winching. Theres also the added benefit of being able to winch from the rear on demand.

JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

why not just use a standard winch mount and tack the bolts in place? i'm sure the local's aren't bringing an angle grinder when they go "shoppin".
Unread 11-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not a real fan of that type of mount. Offroad it also kills your approach and/or departure angles (depending on what end you have it on). I also don't think they are very safe.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexelsteve
why not just use a standard winch mount and tack the bolts in place? i'm sure the local's aren't bringing an angle grinder when they go "shoppin".
I'd also be concerned that any kind of welding could potentially interfere with the heat treatment of the mounting hardware, and that's where a lot of the strength comes from.

FWIW,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bumper hitch-mounted winches are a bad idea for a winch used for offroading, at least in my strongest possible personal opinion. Powerful Jeeping-sized winches can exert more of the kind of stress that a bumper hitch isn't designed to withstand.

Just use a standard winch mounting plate and have someone tack-weld a small steel barrier over one of the winch mounting bolts if you're concerned about theft. You can grind the tack weld away to remove the barrier should you ever need to remove the winch. As a matter of fact, I'll be tack-welding a small barrier over one of my winch mounting bolts this weekend after I install my new AtoZ Fabrication bumper with its built-in winch mounting plate.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/door/104.html

How to Prevent Winch Theft?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/how-prevent-winch-theft-339275/

Winch Protection:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...13#post1718513

Jerry's idea is my favorite. No heat stressing the bolts. Stops all but the most serious thieves.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

awesome, thanks guys!
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

dippert, This pic is brutal.

I'm going to take you up on your invitation to "Feel free to email comments and suggestions for improvement!"

Throw some line-breaks in when doing your longer write-ups. Old eyes can't follow that stuff!

http://mike.dippert.googlepages.com/%22theincident%22

Unread 11-25-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

dippert... when you get your winch shoot me a PM.. I'll tack the bolts for you.. or tack something over them so they can't be removed without grinding... just bring a 6 pack and we'll call it good.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
iwishihad1

probably 3/4 of the times I or people in my group have been stuck the idea would be useless. hitches are usually already dug into mud, or up against a rock, so trying to lug around that heavy thing would be do-able. good idea. just kills angles, and would be usefull most of the time
iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 04:32 AM   #11
smartshot
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll give you an idea of how i did mine.

smartshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #12
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

for those that tacked the bolts on...what if you want to take the winch off?
Quote:
Unread 11-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Get out the grinder.
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #14
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

thought so...oh well
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.