A GOOD Goodyear experience and question (Duratrac vs MT/R) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > A GOOD Goodyear experience and question (Duratrac vs MT/R)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #16
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run duratracs myself, and I feel like it's a great tire for some mediocre offroading in a daily driver (used to be), which relatively speaking, is about all you can do on 33s with no lift. However, I think as my Jeep gets more aggressive, so will my rubber. I'll end up with either Pitbulls, Trxus, or MTR/Ks. It will really depend on where I plan to go with it more than anything.

Unread 03-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tires came in exactly 24 hours after I ordered them. Tirerack has awesome shipping. Got them mounted and road force balanced yesterday. No pictures yet though.

Picture of slice shows the duratracs thin sidewall.
image-3635065680.jpg   image-4236847548.jpg  

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
jbg1980
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any pictures yet? Do you think the increase in tire weight from the Duratrac to Mtr was noticable?
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg1980
Any pictures yet? Do you think the increase in tire weight from the Duratrac to Mtr was noticable?
I have noticed a little more sluggishness that j contribute to the MTR'S. And a little harsher on road. Have the psi at 25 just like the duratracs and it is noticeable. MPGs may have fallen a bit too. But I had an intake manifold crack so only time will tell the truth about the MPGs.
Only picture I have is showing off a new rain cover j bought from a fellow JF member. Wheeling pics in two weeks.
image-2332107460.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 04-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
jbg1980
2001 TJ Wrangler 

But in your opinion it is worth going the MTR route?
Unread 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No getting around it. You are going to see a drop of mpg with the MTRs. The tread is much more aggressive than an AT tire like the Duratracs. Also won't ride as smooth due to the heavier construction. The MTRs are definitely worth it though if you need them offroad. The traction and durability they bring to the table is top notch. When my set wear out, I'm just going to replace them with another.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
No getting around it. You are going to see a drop of mpg with the MTRs. The tread is much more aggressive than an AT tire like the Duratracs. Also won't ride as smooth due to the heavier construction. The MTRs are definitely worth it though if you need them offroad. The traction and durability they bring to the table is top notch. When my set wear out, I'm just going to replace them with another.
X2

They are ok on the road, what they give up on the road they make up off road. The side walls are about as tough as you will find in a C rated tire. I run they at 26 psi on the road. about 16-18 mpg highway 14-16 in town(town here is not much traffic though and is nothing like the big city streets.)

Lets hope they still make them by the time they are toast at least in my choice of 15"s.
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg1980
But in your opinion it is worth going the MTR route?
I'll have to hold my final decision until after I take the offload. My circumstances are a bit different since my decision to go with the duratracs. My wife got a new job right around the corner from me. So the jeep isn't seeing many road miles since we are carpooling in the Prius at 60 mpg.

The few long road trips I take each year are typically for wheeling, so mpg isn't as big of a deal to me now.

But I do like them.
image-322588379.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

just to follow up on this thread.

my MPG has taken a bit of a nose dive with the MTR's. but that was to be expected. comibne a slightly taller tire, heavier, and more aggressive tread design than the Duratrac.

i took them wheeling out to Oak Ridge VA for Wheelin' for Hope 2012. the Tires did awesome aired down to 11psi. I was making it up obstacles that other people in my group needed lockers to get up. (granted there is a bit of driver experience involved too, plus i'm in an Auto)

for those of you familar with Oak Ridge, i was able to walk right up CJ5 with the MTRs vs last fall with the Duratracs, needing the winch.

I'm about to begin on a custom tummy tuck and lock the front d30, so Ill test the tires out on some tougher terrain when i get all that buttoned up. but i have no doubt they will hold up great.

Great tires, Great company... glad I made the switch.
wheelin-hope1.jpg   wheelin-hope11.jpg   wheelin-hope13.jpg  

A Hokie build

Unread 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #25
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'd drop down to 8psi or lower.When I was in MOAB last week I was down to 10psi and that was not low enough and my Jeep is pushing 6000lbs.
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #26
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
I'd drop down to 8psi or lower.When I was in MOAB last week I was down to 10psi and that was not low enough and my Jeep is pushing 6000lbs.
What size tires? The 35's listed in your signature?

If so 35's should be able to go lower than my 33's. But I do plan on dropping them more if need be when I get somewhere with more challenging rocks than oak ridge offers.

A Hokie build

Unread 05-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #27
WA3FLR
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I recently put threse tires on my stock 2000 cherokee and so far so good. Not much road noise and look great. Size for me was up from 225 15 to 235X15. No rubbing. I like em. Goodyear Duratrac. Thumbs up.
WA3FLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #28
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA3FLR View Post
I recently put threse tires on my stock 2000 cherokee and so far so good. Not much road noise and look great. Size for me was up from 225 15 to 235X15. No rubbing. I like em. Goodyear Duratrac. Thumbs up.
maybe your just stating that you like your Duratracs, and i hope they hold up for you. but if you read all of this you would realize that i ditched my durartracs due to a weak sidewall.

Aside from the on-road manners, Goodyear was the best part of the Duratrac for me.

A Hokie build

Unread 08-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
Trendsetter75
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

How is the road noise with the MTR oppose to the Duratracs? Which tire will wear out faster on the road MTR's or Duratracs. I have the Duratracs and I love them, they are meaty, not too bad road noise, and good all terrain tire.
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #30
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 View Post
How is the road noise with the MTR oppose to the Duratracs? Which tire will wear out faster on the road MTR's or Duratracs. I have the Duratracs and I love them, they are meaty, not too bad road noise, and good all terrain tire.
tire noise is a bit more with the MTRs as expected. and they should wear just about as even as the Duratracs, Ive heard people getting 40k out of both sets. I wouldnt be surprised if the MTRs wear out quicker than the Duratracs.

The problem i had with the Duratracs had more to do with their weak sidewall in the 33x12.5 tire size. tread wise; they are a good hybrid tire. Though, for my uses and some of the abuse i put my tires through, the Duratracs just couldnt cut it.

A Hokie build

Tags
duratrac , goodyear , mt/r , tirerack

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.