JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   A GOOD Goodyear experience and question (Duratrac vs MT/R) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/good-goodyear-experience-question-duratrac-vs-mt-r-1332090/)

jeepinhokie 02-21-2012 10:29 AM

A GOOD Goodyear experience and question (Duratrac vs MT/R)

I apologize for the long thread, skip down to the question if you dont want to read the whole thing.

last september (2010) I purchased 5 Goodyear Duratracs in the 33x12.5x15 size (2 ply sidewall) from Tirerack. On my second wheeling trip I slashed a sidewall while exiting a trail. When i returned home, i wrote GY an email stating that I had their offroad tire offroad and slashed a sidewall. They sent me a generic looking email directing me to a local GY dealer and asked that I have one of the managers call the 800 number. The local GY guy was a bit reluctant, but i got him to call. He told GY the tread depth and that I was obviously offroad (which i was upfront about). I was told that the local shop would give me a call to discuss a possible discount on a replacement. I never got a call from the local shop so i called GY directly and found out that I was being given a new Duratrac at 50% off. I called tirerack and had a new tire at my doorstep the next day.

The replacement tire was out of round and had to be exchanged yet again. Tirerack was awesome to deal with about this and again they had a replacement tire to my door the next day. I had that tire mounted and balanced with no issue.

Fast forward a few thousand miles and 3 wheeling trips later and I slashed yet another sidewall. This time i was on a fire road leading to the trails and a branch helped itself into my sidewall. I wheeled for the rest of the weekend gingerly, not wanting another flat, due to not having a spare.

Upon returning home, I once again sent GY an email and explained that i was on a fire road and a branch slashed the sidewall. Referenceing my previous incident number and that b/c of their generosity previously; that i would like to stay with GY tires, but felt that the Duratrac was not a good fit for me. I inquired about the GY MT/R with Kevlar, asking if they would exchange my Duratracs for new MT/R's, and what the cost to do so would be.

I got a call from Tirerack asking me get tread depth measurements and the milage on the tires, in order for GY to determine what they could do for me.

today i found out that GY is willing to refund 75% of the origional cost of the Duratracs; which works out to be almost $600. with the stipulation that I exchange them for new MT/R's from Tirerack. 5 MT/R's with shipping comes out to be almost $1200. apply my credit of $600 and a new set of MT/R's will cost me roughly $600.

So Goodyear is backing their tires by offering to get me into a new set of MT/R's at $600. The fact that they are standing by their tires goes a long way in my book. I have had excellent customer service from both Goodyear and Tirerack :thumbsup:

so my question to you is....

would you spend $600 to get new MT/R's to replace Duratracs that are only a year and a half old? presuming the MT/R's would hold up better than the Duratracs offroad.

or

Keep the Duratracs and replace them as I slash them, at $200 a pop.

or

sell the remaing 4 Duratracs myself and find a different tire (KM2??)

Of course I have to eat the cost of remounting and rebalancing the MT/R's

Jason 02-21-2012 11:46 AM

I'd take them up on the offer. It sounds like they are doing right by you. I think you may wait a while trying to sell them yourself for $600. At $200 per replacement, getting the MT/R will put you money ahead in a years' time at the rate you blow those Duratracs up.

freeskier93 02-21-2012 12:11 PM

I would skip the spare, keep one of the Duratracs as a spare, save some more money. Thats just me though, I don't run a spare with my MT/Rs. My spare sits on the side of the house and is an old pro comp all terrain, full size.

jeepinhokie 02-21-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier93
I would skip the spare, keep one of the Duratracs as a spare, save some more money. Thats just me though, I don't run a spare with my MT/Rs. My spare sits on the side of the house and is an old pro comp all terrain, full size.

Good thoughts but...

I like the idea of having 5. Keeps the tread wearing the same and gets presumably 20% more tread life from a set of tires. I drive my jeep to go wheeling so a spare is important.

The fact that they are willing to help is awesome.

Any other options I'm not thinking of.

tjkj2002 02-21-2012 03:57 PM

Get the MT/R's,much better sidewalls.Skip the KM2's,weaker sidewalls then the duratrac's but have one more sidewall ply,BFG's have always had weak sidewalls till you get above the 38"+ sizes.

jeepinhokie 02-21-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Get the MT/R's,much better sidewalls.Skip the KM2's,weaker sidewalls then the duratrac's but have one more sidewall ply,BFG's have always had weak sidewalls till you get above the 38"+ sizes.

I don't know if the duratracs sidewall is stronger than any tire. At least the 33's with a 15" rim. Maybe I'm just cursed.

I know the MTR'S will have a stronger sidewall. But ditching year and a half old tires doesn't sit well with me. The Duratracs have 20k miles on them, and have only lost 3-4 32nds of tread. (5 tire rotation) so they are wearing very well.

Ef4life 02-21-2012 08:23 PM

I was thinking about switching to duratracs from km2s, but after reading this I don't think I will. The mtr kevlars are too heavy and expensive for my taste. so I think I'll stay with my bfgs since ive never had any issues and they get pretty cut up and hold up great.

But it's nice to see Goodyear stand behind thier products and give you a trade in on a new set.

jeepinhokie 02-22-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ef4life (Post 13100238)
I was thinking about switching to duratracs from km2s, but after reading this I don't think I will. The mtr kevlars are too heavy and expensive for my taste. so I think I'll stay with my bfgs since ive never had any issues and they get pretty cut up and hold up great.

But it's nice to see Goodyear stand behind thier products and give you a trade in on a new set.

Just FYI, the KM2s are only 2 pounds lighter than the MTR's and they are $5 more expensive. at least for the 33x12.5x15.

The Duratracs are 11 pounds lighter than the MTR's and $21 cheaper than the MTRs.

what size tire were you considering?

jeepinhokie 02-22-2012 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a tire comparison of the Duratrac, KM2 and MTR all in 33x12.5x15

metalry101 02-22-2012 03:01 PM

I'd take them up on that offer. Wheeling without worry about whether your tires can handle anything and everything you can throw at them is nice. That's my favorite thing about my Toyo's. They're not the grabbiest MT's out there on rocks, and I have to air them down to <10 PSI to really soften them up, but I know I'll never punch a hole in the things.

BTW, thanks for posting this. It makes me a lot less cautious about buying tires online, and a lot more likely to buy Goodyear tires in the future.

Ef4life 02-22-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinhokie

Just FYI, the KM2s are only 2 pounds lighter than the MTR's and they are $5 more expensive. at least for the 33x12.5x15.

The Duratracs are 11 pounds lighter than the MTR's and $21 cheaper than the MTRs.

what size tire were you considering?

I'm running 35s now, as far as I know they don't make the dura trac in a 35 that I've seen (yet anyway).

That price chart is way out of whack on prices, I paid 187 each for 5 35x12.5r15 km2s the Kevlar mtrs were 220ish.

Edit I just looked at tire rack km2 - 216, 61lbs - mtrk 208, 67lbs. So the price must have went up since I bought mine

jeepinhokie 02-23-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ef4life (Post 13107463)
I'm running 35s now, as far as I know they don't make the dura trac in a 35 that I've seen (yet anyway).

That price chart is way out of whack on prices, I paid 187 each for 5 35x12.5r15 km2s the Kevlar mtrs were 220ish.

Edit I just looked at tire rack km2 - 216, 61lbs - mtrk 208, 67lbs. So the price must have went up since I bought mine

Prices have definatly gone up,

my Duratracs were 155 each in sept 2010. now they are almost 180.

still debating if i want to shell out the $600.

reznory 02-23-2012 06:21 PM

Do it. I've abused the hell out of 5 MTR/Ks without a single problem. They are worth every penny at full price.

jeepinhokie 02-28-2012 01:48 PM

So a little update.

I took Goodyear up on their offer to replace my tires at what essentially works out to be 50% off a new set of MTR's. (when all is said and done)

I will try and get a little write up done about the Duratracs and their tread wear / life expectancy. (on road)

pics to follow of course.

jeepinhokie 03-01-2012 02:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
MTRs came in. Swapping them in tomorrow hopefully

The time now is 09:46 PM.